A Can of Transmission Worms

gnsrule

I just bought this SG 68 Camaro from a dude in KY. Nice clean car, turn key w/ a 475 BBC, PG tans, delay box, etc. Suposed to run 9.30 ish @ 145 ish.
No cars are perfect so of corse i got it in the garage going thru it, minor stuff so far till this.
The trans was leaking like a sive out everywherte but the front seal, the pump to case o ring, selector shaft, output shaft and of course, yea, the pan too. No biggie, its not suposed to be that old. I'll yank it out, give it to my trans buddy and let him do a $49.95 Soft parts overhaule
He gets it apart and we find the clutchs and Kevelar band are smoked, the input is twisted, they forgot a thrust whasher and chewd up some stuff and there some chipped teeth on the planetary. What a frickin mess !!!
Were looking at repairing the planet w/ a pinioin kit, new input and clean up the chewd up stuff. He thinks 5 red clutchs would be good altho its my option to have him machine the piston and upgrage to 6 Blue clutchs. No biggie there, I trust his judgment.
What started out as a relatively cheap fix is turning into a can of worms. We'll get it, but now i'm debateing on yankin the motor and going thru it too, but its the middle of Febuary already and i wanna get out in April, not August. Maybe i'll at least drop the pan and see what i see.
Thanks for lettin me vent

Craig

BTW, I know its not Turbo related but i thought its more relavent to post it here than the lounge

the blue clutches are JUNK.use the alto red. 5 should be fine for that motor plus a safety margin.repairing a stock 1.76 planet is usually more expensive in time and money than reinstalling a good used one.

The above is......

Strictly Chris's OPINION...... Nothing else.
Blue clutches are NOT junk, just need to be installed correctly.
I have had GREAT luck over the years and was around and involved in the development of these clutches. They are used in Lencos and we all know Lencos are junk too, right Chris?
Comon man, it is about time you quit making these blanket statements about these clutches with no facts to back it up. Raybestos spent a TON of money both developing them and testing them for the High performance market.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

they are junk.i wasnt talking about lencos either so where do you see the similarity.the blue plate is a loser in a glide as well.they spent tons of money developing the space shuttle too and it too wasnt a success when the panels flew off and it burst into flames.

Just Let me know where to send it.....

I still have those batteries and since my accident haven't had anytime to persue them. But I can set up some pics if needed and I still have 6 of them I think....They were in my turbo diesel truck (2 of them) when we got hit head on and they worked all night long while we slept in the wreck till morning. AND I watched dvd's all night as Mark has sleep apniea (sp?) so I had to stay awake while he slept to make sure he didn't stop breathing. They were plastered into the engine and still worked all night long.
These batteries were no joke and Bill Davis Racing is still trying to get us to do something with them. Now that they are going to Toyota's in 2007, I might just get back in touch with them to get these back out there.
Time, I just have no time.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

WE4 said:
Strictly Chris's OPINION...... Nothing else.
Blue clutches are NOT junk, just need to be installed correctly.
I have had GREAT luck over the years and was around and involved in the development of these clutches. They are used in Lencos and we all know Lencos are junk too, right Chris?
Comon man, it is about time you quit making these blanket statements about these clutches with no facts to back it up. Raybestos spent a TON of money both developing them and testing them for the High performance market.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

http://www.altousa.com/hiperftech.htm

Interesting article that doesn't specifically name the Raybestos Blues but interestingly says "leading competitor" and shows the graph in blue...

Transgo put out some literature some time ago about the stock BW tans actually having higher HP capacity than the Blues. I'll dig through my stuff and try to find their testing and results.

Whoa!!!

Hold on there. I am NOT saying Alto clutches are bad, in fact I work with Pete and Alto everyday. But to make a blanket statement such as the one made is wrong. That was and is my point.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

And my point was........

If they were devoloped for use in HIGH hp Pro stock Lencos, I think they perform with what we do to them.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

bruce how do i insert a photo into a thread?in other words i type a reply and add a picture below.its asking me about the format?///////??????

Simply click on

Manage attachments. It should allow you to upload the pic if it is the correct size or smaller. If you put up more than one it will show up as a link.
Try it and see.

We4
Bruce

Grain of salt

jakeshoe said:
Transgo put out some literature some time ago about the stock BW tans actually having higher HP capacity than the Blues. I'll dig through my stuff and try to find their testing and results.

Don't believe everything Transgo has to say. Chris could fill you in on this as well. Gil thinks he is the trans "god". Key word: "thinks"

Bruce
WE4

Wow,
Talk about opening up a can of worms !!! :eek:
All i was doing was venting on some of the junk I own.
Here's a pic of my latest ride to add to the collection:
IMG00002.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

Craig