A/c troubleshooting help please!

Kent Buckles

BBBAAD 6
Hoping someone has some ideas or advice. I have searched through the forums and no luck finding anything that helps at this point. I was hoping to get some input on what else to check or if these symptoms indicate anything specific. Problem: When switching a/c controls from regular to max or when switching fan control from medium high to high speed, i am not feeling or hearing any change in the amount of air coming out of the vents. At this point, air blows cold, blows from correct vents just no change as stated. I have checked for vacuum leaks under the hood, have checked water control valve, checked vacuum reserve "ball", and have checked the heater/ac vacuum controlled door behind glovebox. Have found no issues in these areas as of yet. Any ideas great appreciated.

If you found no vac leaks check the blower motor. They're cheap ($30-$40) and easy to replace. I know on mine there was really no difference between low and high. I pulled the old blower motor and there was some resistance on the fan simply from being old and dust and what not settles in there. Put the new one in and could immediately tell a difference. I replaced the blower relay ($10) also just for piece of mind and to make the engine bay look a little better since the old one had oxidation on it. HTH

Thanks for the response. I am starting to think I am expecting too much and everything is ok. I went out and played with it again and I guess there actually IS a difference from high to low. Just not the difference I notice with our newer vehicles. Everything does seem to be working correctly. I will probably get the blower motor just to see if there is a difference. I missed the Hot Rod Power Tour this year so was going on a vacation with just me and the wife and with this heat we are all expeiriencing didn't want to hear no "whining"! Guess I will just settle for good enough unless someone has any other ideas. (other than leave the wife at home)

If thats the original blower motor in there then trust me you will notice a difference, not just from low to high but from the old motor to the new. When i got my new one I spun the fan by hand and it spun freely with a good turn about 5-10 revolutions til it slowed and stopped. Took the old one out and gave it a spin by hand and I could immediately feel the resistance and it only turned .5 - 1 full turn at most.

I have had the car 12 years and never replaced it so it very well could be the original. I am just hoping the assembly is close to the original so my chrome cover will fit the aftermarket version :D It will be great if I get more flow with it. Thanks again, Kent

Ya the replacement is the same as the original so the chrome cover will fit. I'd replace the blower motor relay and resistor too while your at it since there only like $10 each and it sounds like you care about your engine bay lookin good. Just don't forget to put down some rtv when replacing the blower so you create a nice seal. Glad to help.

One other thing that may be slowing the air down is the evap core. After so many years it can become clogged up with dirt and trash. You might want to take the box apart and look in so you can check it.

Thanks CharlieF1.... I think the evaporator core is good but I will doublecheck. Three or four years ago I replaced everything, core, condenser, compressor and everything when I switched over to 134A.

Puttsburgh Kid....Good that chrome cover will fit. I try to keep engine bay clean...picture attached!

THANKS again guys!

Attachments

• xxxxxxxxxx 027.jpg
    xxxxxxxxxx 027.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 130
..... Problem: When switching a/c controls from regular to max or when switching fan control from medium high to high speed, i am not feeling or hearing any change in the amount of air coming out of the vents. ..........

Is the fan running/blowing on all speeds except High?

Nick....No, it was blowing on all speeds including high. To update everyone, I put a new blower motor in (Pittsburgh Kids suggestion)and everything now seems to be back to normal. Quite honestly I did not think it would make a big difference because it has always seemed my defrost/heat blows out fine. I guess I am able to tolerate the cold weather better than the heat:cool: There was not difference in how easy the fan wheels spun but it is obvious that the new motor is more efficient. THANKS AGAIN for everyones advice/help!!!