A/C recharge

Tom Walker

Tommy2Tone
I've been reading posts from 2002-2005 and was wondering. Are theie any new/updated thoughts on what replacement gas cools best in out Regals? Old posts spoke of Freeze 12, R416A, RB276, etc. I know Nick had alot of experience in AZ on this. Don't want 134a unless I absolutely have no choice. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

If the car hasn't been changed over do not use freeze 12. It's a hybred and won't allow for the oil to circulate right. This will kill the compressor. If you need repair go with R-134 for now or wait until the new version comes out in the next year or so. It's supposed to be more user friendly but hasn't been released yet.

I was talking to a supplier and it will only be available in 30lb containers and it uses differant machines. I hope he is wrong .The price on the container is $600:eek:. he said high side pressures will be almost double what they are know. Thats dupont playing their games again.

Local repair shop put R12 in my TR. Repaired a leak & cost less then $200. 37* air at left center outlet.

Nick recommends R12. Any other advise, besides R12 and 134a? If I don't get feedback on possible use of RB276 (hotshot) R416A, R414B, duracool, etc, I'll be buying R12 from Nick. JUst hate to see a new leak show up a month after I get it done,losing the R12...

Nick recommends R12. Any other advise, besides R12 and 134a? If I don't get feedback on possible use of RB276 (hotshot) R416A, R414B, duracool, etc, I'll be buying R12 from Nick. JUst hate to see a new leak show up a month after I get it done,losing the R12...

I agree with Nick.
:cool:

why don't you want to use 134?

1. R12 is more efficient & will run cooler air temps.
2. R12 has less permeability & doesn't leak out as easily.
3. The TR was designed for R12.
4. R12 is still available from many sources.
:cool:

Due to the prices, I'm looking for opinions on 'alternative' gases. Anybody with experience in this area? (note my original post)

Being a tech for almost 30 years now go with R-134 but make sure you clean the system of all the original oil so that there's not an issue. I have used freeze 12 twice now and it worked ok on one system and on the second locled the compressor up because it starved for oil. Freeze 12 doesn't lube the system like R-12 or R-134.