A/C Problems

slow305

One Cool Guy
I have an issue with my AC. After evacuation, I put the switch on Max, fill it up, compressor begins cycling, air is blowing out of the top vents, but it's not cold. The fan also comes on. I've talked to many AC people and even a local GM mechanic and no one has any suggestions on what the heck is going on. Has anyone else here had similar problems? I think I just might replace everything except the compressor and see if that fixes it.

expansion valve could be clogged. Did you replace it, when you evacuated the system?

Between the receiver and evaporator. I think on our cars (I don't have ac anymore) its at the outlet of the receiver can. Right where the line is screwed on.

this is what it looks like

Attachments

• W01331682030BEH.JPG
    W01331682030BEH.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 118
You don't have top replace it when you do an R&R, but sometimes debris gets in it and then all hell breaks loose. It's a cheap part relative to the rest of the system.

I have an issue with my AC. After evacuation, I put the switch on Max, fill it up, compressor begins cycling, air is blowing out of the top vents, but it's not cold. The fan also comes on. I've talked to many AC people and even a local GM mechanic and no one has any suggestions on what the heck is going on. Has anyone else here had similar problems? I think I just might replace everything except the compressor and see if that fixes it.

I have not put my eyes on it or guages. Can not make a good daig until that happens. Is this in the GN or Firebird?

It maybe clogged,not enough freon(134a),weak compressor etc.

Between the receiver and evaporator. I think on our cars (I don't have ac anymore) its at the outlet of the receiver can. Right where the line is screwed on.

this is what it looks like

Correct location and yes they can be come clogged with debris from a failing compressor. On our cars and most GMs they are orfice tubes.:smile:

Orifice tubes!

That's the word I was looking for Steve. For some reason EV sticks in my head.

Are the lines and accumulator can sweating ?Water droplets will begin to form when the charge is near correct , and be cool to the touch. If so , your problem could be in the ductwork inside the car or enough trash (leaves,pine needles,bugs )on the evaporator to stop outside air flow to inside the car.

Try jumping out the low pressure switch with gauges on it to charge properly. Where are you located?

Dude, you guys were posting the crap out of this while I spaced out!

I have gotten a couple suggestions on the orifice tube, I'll change that out this weekend. I wish I had a damn evacuator pump. It would make all this so much quicker.

PS: It's on the GN.