A/C orifice question

"More Boost"

Major Member
went to replace my orifice tube and they have an OEM and/or a variable orifice tube.
OEM is 2.49 and variable is 30 bucks. the OEM looks to be less restrictive unit. what is the advantage/disadvantage of this variable orifice tube? any input?

Ford Red tube from an 95 PU. Doesn't matter which engine it has in it, it's all the same for the tube. It will help you make it cooler.

Our a/c was designed for the oem.
Many shams are trying to bilk you out of your $.
I get 37* out of my system & it is restored to original (R12).
My truck & the wifes Avalon both are not as cold or consistant (134a).
As has been said before "It's your money & car - do as you want}.
Most a/c "experts" will try to sell you only what they sell & cost you $$$ & the system is not as efficient.
The reason R12 is not readilly available is Duponts patent ran out & they make more $ selling you what they have - an ineffect patent.

Cooler at speed, not cooler at idle

True, but most of don't leave the car sitting at an idle.:biggrin:

Seriously though, if you do a lot of city driving then you're better off with the stock orifice tube but if you do more than that you'll be happier with the Ford red tube.:cool:

Ford Red tube from an 95 PU. Doesn't matter which engine it has in it, it's all the same for the tube. It will help you make it cooler.

I thought it was blue.. hell I forget.. its been a year.

But at any rate, there are several compatible, yet slightly different sized orifice tubes that are preferred...

I'm pretty sure I used blue or white... I recall it was a Ford piece and I found the info here.. search orifice tube and you should find the info. THere are several discussions regarding this topic.

I thought it was blue.. hell I forget.. its been a year.

But at any rate, there are several compatible, yet slightly different sized orifice tubes that are preferred...

I'm pretty sure I used blue or white... I recall it was a Ford piece and I found the info here.. search orifice tube and you should find the info. THere are several discussions regarding this topic.

The blue has slightly smaller opening in it but will work almost as well at the red.:smile: