A/C issues

abrasv

Newbie here.
Trying to figure out why I can't charge the ac on my 87 GN. Just bought it and was told it may be low on R12 freon. I had a few cans and tried adding one but it would only take a little. Did get the compressor to cycle every few seconds for about 5 seconds each time. Thought since it wasn't taking the charge that the low pressure switch might be faulty so put a new one on. That was no help.
Would like to get some suggestions as to what might be causing this and what to try next.

Thanks

Check the relay under the hood on the passenger side front fender. One is for the fuel pump, the other is for AC.

It takes a while for the freon to go in. Shake the can to help it vaporise and make sure you’re putting it in the low pressure side. The compressor will cycle much less once it’s full.

It takes a while for the freon to go in. Shake the can to help it vaporise and make sure you’re putting it in the low pressure side. The compressor will cycle much less once it’s full.
Shaked the can for 10 minutes and nothing went in! :) Got the compressor to cycle in very short bursts but won't take anymore.

The orfice maybe stopped up.

First remove all the Freon then replace it and pull the vacuum over to fill with the correct amount.

Having to much is as bad as it being low.

OK all, I always felt I was pretty good at fixing things and figuring out what was wrong with the cars over the many years I've been blessed to be alive. Tried to figure up one time how many I have owned since my first (40 Chevy coupe with a buick v8 and a Lasalle transmission). Stopped counting at 60 something.
So, figuring I can work on about anything and get it going again I failed to realize That it is hard to fix "stupid". Worked on this a/c unit all week (off and on and replaced low side power switch and the relay. Still would not take freon. My son, who I taught everything about cars to, shows up today and within 30 seconds he says "Dad, why are you trying to add freon thru the high pressure line?" Well, I says, because I am going thru a stupid time in my life, apparently.
Switched it over to the LP side and an hour later the a/c unit is charged with R12 and cold and running about 58 degrees inside from the vent.

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and just thought you might get a kick out of this story!

OK all, I always felt I was pretty good at fixing things and figuring out what was wrong with the cars over the many years I've been blessed to be alive. Tried to figure up one time how many I have owned since my first (40 Chevy coupe with a buick v8 and a Lasalle transmission). Stopped counting at 60 something.
So, figuring I can work on about anything and get it going again I failed to realize That it is hard to fix "stupid". Worked on this a/c unit all week (off and on and replaced low side power switch and the relay. Still would not take freon. My son, who I taught everything about cars to, shows up today and within 30 seconds he says "Dad, why are you trying to add freon thru the high pressure line?" Well, I says, because I am going thru a stupid time in my life, apparently.
Switched it over to the LP side and an hour later the a/c unit is charged with R12 and cold and running about 58 degrees inside from the vent.

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and just thought you might get a kick out of this story!

First off How were you (what tools) using to add the freon ?

The ports are different sizes.

Glad you got it figured out.

Is 58° with it on high fan, Max setting? Try leaving it on max but reduce the fan setting. Mine blows 41°. Also, I found cold air blowing out from around the evaporator, under the hood. I stuffed a sponge that I cut up, in there. Made a big difference so now all cold air is blown into the cabin.