A/C Fuse Blowing

gnbrian

The 10 amp fuse that protects or controls the a/c compressor clutch keeps blowing. Sometimes it will work for 2 miles and sometimes 5 miles. The 2 prong connector that goes to the clutch coil with the resistor was slightly melted,so I replaced and it continues to blow. Could the clutch coil be shorting? Or something else?

it should be a diode not a resistor on the plug,make sure its installed in the right "direction"white band side one way or another,not sure which way,maybe someone here knows off the top of thier head,if not ill check mine tomorrow....

Make sure the legs of the diode aren't touching either, I've seen a few come in the shop lately with that issue.

Assuming it's the ECM/SOL fuse that's popping, if it isn't the compressor connector and diode, it's usually a shorted TCC wire in the tranny.

Usually starts out intermittant too.

Unplug the connector to the transmission and see if the fuse holds.

Check the wiring at the EGR solenoid, wastegate solenoid, cannister purge solenoid, and delay relay for shorted connectors or chafed wires as they too are on the same fuse.

ah, so I guess I should disconnect the connector at the compressor and drive and see if the fuse still blows. And if it does the TCC maybe shorting and contine with all the others

I'd unplug the connector at the transmission myself. ;)

Hopefully that's what you meant to say. :cool:

Okay, unpluuged the trans harness and still blows the fuse. The fan delay relay, boost solenoid and canister purge are also on this fuse? If so, guess thats where I will look next

Alright, went through checking and disconnecting everything with no success, until..... I changed out the ecm with a spare and the problem seems to be fixed. Do things like this happen often with the ECm's? Does anyone check and repair them?

I have seen the A/C fuse blow when the powermaster is drawing too many amps. They are tied into the same circuit.
Doubt the ecm has anything to do with it.

BW

garyk1970 said:
it should be a diode not a resistor on the plug,make sure its installed in the right "direction"white band side one way or another,not sure which way,maybe someone here knows off the top of thier head,if not ill check mine tomorrow....

Did you ever check and see which way the plug is supposed to be installed. I'm having the same problem blowing fuses. I replaced the plug at the clutch and don't remember which way it installs. Looks like it will go on either way.

I am fighting this same problem now. First sign of problem yesterday when A/C simply quit. Replaced fuse and runs great in park. Can let it run in park for 15 minutes and no problem. If I try to drive the car the fuse blows in less than 30 seconds. Have disconnected the plug at tranny and makes no difference. Replaced the relay and the plug at A/C (caspers replacement). No difference, still blows fuse. Any thoughts?

i just went out and took a look at my plug.standing at front of car,looking at compressor,green wire is facing the sky and black wire is facing the ground.the white band side of diode is connected to green wire,black side to black wire.hope this helps.

Jack Evers said:
I am fighting this same problem now. First sign of problem yesterday when A/C simply quit. Replaced fuse and runs great in park. Can let it run in park for 15 minutes and no problem. If I try to drive the car the fuse blows in less than 30 seconds. Have disconnected the plug at tranny and makes no difference. Replaced the relay and the plug at A/C (caspers replacement). No difference, still blows fuse. Any thoughts?

Thanks for doing that, Gary. My compressor clutch plug is green wire up so it's hooked up right.

Interesting. I just replaced the fuse and took another ride with the A/C off. Came back and fuse was blown. There is something else besides the A/C on that circuit that's causing this to happened. I pulled the plug at the transmission and that made no difference.

New ecm didn't help. did notice, however, what appears to be occasional pulsing of convertor lockup at very slow speeds (maybe 10 mph). I did pull the plug and still was blowing fuses. go figure.

"Check the wiring at the EGR solenoid, wastegate solenoid, cannister purge solenoid, and fan delay relay for shorted connectors or chafed wires as they too are on the same fuse."

Could still be in the TCC wiring at the brake pedal shorting out. But not so likely.

I'd look around at all the stuff on that fuse for a possible short somewhere.

Especially if some of it has been removed from the car, such as the EGR, or cannister purge stuff.

salvageV6 said:
"Check the wiring at the EGR solenoid, wastegate solenoid, cannister purge solenoid, and fan delay relay for shorted connectors or chafed wires as they too are on the same fuse."

Could still be in the TCC wiring at the brake pedal shorting out. But not so likely.

I'd look around at all the stuff on that fuse for a possible short somewhere.

Especially if some of it has been removed from the car, such as the EGR, or cannister purge stuff.

Thanks, Salvage, appreciate your thoughts and will look into these items in daylight. Brain dead tonight.

Jack Evers said:
Thanks, Salvage, appreciate your thoughts and will look into these items in daylight. Brain dead tonight.

I think problem has been solved, thanks to SalvageV6. Disconnected the canister purge solenoid and no more blown fuses. So far, no codes register with the canister disconnected. Is this something I can just leave disconnected?

For now maybe, but I wouldn't leave it off forever on a street car.

Measure the resistance across the two terminals with a good digital ohm meter if you have one.

I've never heard of one of them shorting out, but that would be a good test to do to be sure.

Can't cost too much to replace from gmparts or a vendor, that would also be one part I'd trust used from anyone with a race car that's removed it or used from Gbodyparts, Brian Weaver.

You might know a couple of those folks and pick one up free. :cool: