A/C conversion Any way to tell?

djj624

When I bought my T the guy told me he converted it to 134. Is there any way I can tell by looking at the unit under the hood to see if it's actually converted or not?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Look at the fittings. 134-A have quick connect charge fittings and the caps are usually larger. Look at the low side because I have seen people that don't change the high side connector and evac and recharge through the low side only. 12 fittings have the cap threads on the outside of the fitting while 134 in internal.
ac_service_fittings.gif

IMG_8953-L.jpg

Two of mine that have been converted both have the same sort of fitting on the PS line next to the battery. You can see it with the red cap in the picture above. Original R12 cars have no fitting at all on that line. HTH.

As far as I know, that car has been converted too. Others can chime in if I'm wrong.

I hope so but I do not see any quick connects. It does look very similar to you're though.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I have the same question for my car :mad: : R12 or R134?
What I do know is that the quick adapter fittings can be removed after charging. What that means is that the car can in fact be charged withh 134, and the fittings removed.

There are only a few ways that I know off to get closer to an answer.
1-Gas analyzer
2-If you can relief some preszure and get some oil out of the system, it can possibly give you a better idea what was used.
3-Verify pressures and performance to a chart. If the system is performing well, a thermometer and pressure gauges should tell you what is in it.

looks converted to me. unscrew the plastic caps: if you see only threads, then it's R12.. if they look like bigger versions of the quick disconnects on your air tools, then it's R134..

They make a refrigerant called hot shot that can be used as a replacement for r12.

That's what I will do unless I find out my compressor is bad