A/C Condensor from the boneyard??

gn85

You've gotta try this!
OK.. for all of you junkyard genius' out there, I've got a question. It seems part of the problem with doing 134a in a GN is the condensor of old is not efficient enough for the new.

I know there are the blends and everything else out there, and I haven't ruled them out yet. But if I'm going to consider doing 134a, I might consider putting in a better condensor. So, I was wondering if there's any car that has a condensor that will 'fit' the GN and improve AC ability. Of course with slight mod to make it fit is OK.

Thanks... I hope I've given a challenge for the boneyard warriors.

I can't help. :( First, you have to believe there is some problem with a 134A changeover. I don't believe that. ;)

I converted to 134

A newer more efficient condensor is better, but the stock one will be fine. Well. mine is anyway....

ramchargers fan..

Next to the alky system....The ramchargers fan I just installed a couple of weeks ago, is the best investment for my buick so far....With the hot humid st. louis weather ...temps with the "ac on" never go above 180..... and another big plus... is with the fans on high...... sitting in traffic THE AC IS ICE COLD... lots more air flow over the condenser....
makes much more since to upgrade the fan... than to "convert" parts in the ac system.... NO NEED FOR IT

ALKY + GOOD COOLING = SWEET CAR

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I can't help. :( First, you have to believe there is some problem with a 134A changeover. I don't believe that. ;)

I'm exploring all my options right now. If I go with 134a, I was planning on installing to performance, not just by weight. But, as I said, I know the condensor is not as effecient and wondered if there was a boneyard fix. If not.. then OK, I'll still go ahead with the conversion. The idea of the Ramcharger fan sounds like a really good bet too.

kinda fits

Well, I converted mine over to 134-A about 3 years ago. My condensor was trashed, so I went looking for one. There were no G-body ones available, so the guy gave me one out of a caprice, because the output hoses were both on the right side.

It's about an inch an a half longer than the g-body one, and the same height, so I just re-drilled the holes for the rubber pads, to move them out. I had to "clearance" the wall a bit- about 5-8 whacks with a sledgehammer on the radiator support, and that was it. I also got a "pusher" fan off of a late 80's/early 90's Riviera and wired it up with a relay to come on when the AC compressor is on.

It works very well, and is still holding it's original charge.

Re: kinda fits

Originally posted by mbartell
Well, I converted mine over to 134-A about 3 years ago. My condensor was trashed, so I went looking for one. There were no G-body ones available, so the guy gave me one out of a caprice, because the output hoses were both on the right side.

It's about an inch an a half longer than the g-body one, and the same height, so I just re-drilled the holes for the rubber pads, to move them out. I had to "clearance" the wall a bit- about 5-8 whacks with a sledgehammer on the radiator support, and that was it. I also got a "pusher" fan off of a late 80's/early 90's Riviera and wired it up with a relay to come on when the AC compressor is on.

It works very well, and is still holding it's original charge.

Interesting... you wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?? I don't mind slight "clearance" modifications. :) Does your set up blow cold and efficiently? I imagine that also could have affected the amount you had to fill the system with.

Thanks for responding.

I don't know if pictures would really help. The only modifications are taking the brackets from the old condensor, opening them up on one side, and drilling annother hole to move the rubber piece over a little. On the bottom, it's even easier. There is a tab that you bend flat, and you drill annother hole to move that rubber pad over a little.
Outside of that it looks stock. Just make sure that the donor one is from a similar year, so that the fittings are the same.
I think the real diffrence is the fan that comes on when the A/C system is on. It was pretty easy to hook up, I just spliced it in to the wire that goes to the compressor.
Before I installed the condensor, It was cleaned out with about a can of carb cleaner, and then blown dry with an air hose.
When it was all hooked up, and we replaced all the O rings we could find, pulled a vacum and let it sit. We accidentally over-charged it and had to bring it down to 40lbs.
I wonder if there is a more efficent condensor design that newer vehicles use. All you would have to do is go searching the "new" section of the junkyard with a tape measure. You could probably cut the lines behind the fittings so you wouldn't have to worry about matching them up.

The engine in mine is a stock 1982 3.8 that has a 2 barrel on it. The engine has around 300,000 miles on it, so it's getting a little weak. The other thing that really helped was the aluminum radiator for the f-body. I think it's a modine 251? It has plastic tanks and the aluminum center. It's great for mine, I just set my electric fan themostat at whatever I like and it stays there all day.

Consensor may not be your problem. I know of a new style(It's supposed to be larger inside) orifice filter tube which is supposed to help drop temps about 15*-20*, cost is about $20, I have not tried one yet, but seems to make sense.