A/C compressor needs to be replaced, anyone have suggestions?

Sorry about that Tony. I closed my PM box and hid my email because of 2, now ex members, harrassing me. I added you to the list so you can PM me if you want.

Remember that you only add .8 to .85% of the original charge to the system. You also have to adjust the low pressure switch so it doesn't cut off with the lower pressures. One other thing to remembe is that the condensor core isn't made for 134 so it's not near as efficient.

Did you use the original orifice tube or did you switch to the ford design?

I went by 52 oz. for r12, around 44oz for r-134.I did go with the Ford orifice tube.I'm thinking it should be getting cooler than upper 50's but not sure, also I didn't let it run very long I thought it had to cycle on and off.I'm going to lower the freon a little like you said I may have over charged . didnt have scales went by cans and guessed at the last(4th) can.Again I appreciate your help this site is the best on sharing knowledge on these cars.

I went by 52 oz. for r12, around 44oz for r-134.I did go with the Ford orifice tube.I'm thinking it should be getting cooler than upper 50's but not sure, also I didn't let it run very long I thought it had to cycle on and off.I'm going to lower the freon a little like you said I may have over charged . didnt have scales went by cans and guessed at the last(4th) can.Again I appreciate your help this site is the best on sharing knowledge on these cars.

You have just about the right amount Tony. Take it for a drive and it should get colder. Idle is where R-134 suffers. It isn't near as efecient as R-12 on exchanging heat. More air flow over the condensor will help it cool better so take it for a spin and put a thermometer in the center outlet so you can see how it's doing.

Is the compressor clutch engaged the whole time the a/c is on? Or is the ribbed pulley just free wheeling? Look closely for this. When engaged the front of the compressor will rotate, when not engaged only the ribbed pulley rotates.

How about the top a/c line out of the box before the accumulator/drier? (big can, might be black or silver, sitting forward of the HVAC box) is this line getting cold and is there condensation forming on it?

Next check to ensure the hot/cold blend door isn't open. That will allow heat off the heater core to mix with the a/c air and appear not cold.

And as mentioned, there needs to be airflow across the condenser, be it the car is moving, or you just place a big fan in front of the car blowing at it, in order to cool the hot gas from the refrigerant back to liquid to properly cool.