A/C Compressor Cycle

getdowngranny

Mr. Fix It
I just finished re-sealing my A/C system and i filled it with 1 can of first charge and 1 of the large blue cans of 134 and my compressor cycles about 30 seconds on 10 seconds off. Sometimes on for longer periods. I have no gauges to check pressure so i am just trying to guesstimate. Is the compressor supposed to cycle when A/C in set on high or am i just a bit low on pressure and need to add more?

No guessimate here gauges are not that expensive. All the parts stores sell a gauge which mount to can.

I wouldn't guess with the pressures, but mine cycles as you described, and the amount of cycling depends on the outside temperatures too. On really hot days it tends to run longer between cycles.

Did you suck the system down with a vacuum pump before you tried charging it? If not you need to start from scratch and use a set of guages and a vacuum pump or it won't work right and self destruct quickly.

At least find a vacuum pump and pump it down and put the right pounds of freon in. Sometimes it worth having a a/c man pump it down and fill it back up. It shouldn't cost that much as they don't charge you for the freon you already have in it.