A/C and fans not working

dragrazor

i did some research here and i couldnt really find the answer. Before i start throwing parts at this, do both of these things not working have a correlation? This is a touch screen (i guess thats what you call it) a/c on an 86 t type. The screen works, the fan blows just hot air. The thermostat was changed to a 160. The chip is a stock chip. I am under the impression that even with the stock chip, the fans should turn on when i turn the a/c on. I checked the hi and lo relays with known good ones and nothing. I have disconnected the delay relay. There is no power going to the fans. I have not checked the power at the compressor yet. Which wire should i check to see if the compressor is getting power? All sensors are connected at the manifold. Any help will be appreciated.

There is a green wire from drier to compressor. Mine broke. I spliced in a new wire. Also if freon gets low, compressor won't kick on. Do you have an after market fan harness? If so check the fuses.

Gnrick, if the car is low on Freon and the compressor does not kick on, will the fans also not kick on if its below what the chip temperature is set to? I thought that the fan should kick on even if the compressor is low on Freon.

Great tips concerning a correlation between the two problems. But if your finding maybe they may not be correlated....

Do your fans turn on at all?...say when the water temp reaches about 178-180'ish. If not, I had the same issue when I blew the fuse-link at the starter. Not the easiest job, but certainly not the hardest either. Casper offers new ones to splice in.

The first thing I would check is power to the low and high speed relays from the battery via the starter solenoid which will only take 30 seconds.

The fan relays should always have incoming power unless a fusible link is bad.

Nick, i did everything that on the vortex buick site involving troubleshooting fans. Everything checked out but the fan isnt turning on when i turn the a/c on. Should the high speed of the fan turn on even if the a/c compressor isnt turning on? I think the car has no freon which i will check soon but i have to know if the fan wiring is good which apparently it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnrick, if the car is low on Freon and the compressor does not kick on, will the fans also not kick on if its below what the chip temperature is set to? I thought that the fan should kick on even if the compressor is low on Freon.
I would think the fans would kick on. Did you try grounding the green wire at the high pressure switch near the compressor per the vortex site? You could also email Steve Wood. He is pretty quick to respond.

Try jumping the low pressure switch with a paper clip momentarily. When you do this do the fans and compressor turn on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think the fans would kick on. Did you try grounding the green wire at the high pressure switch near the compressor per the vortex site? You could also email Steve Wood. He is pretty quick to respond.
Yes, i did it just like the vortex site and the fan kicked on. Do you have steve woods email?