94'Formula vs 87' GTA...which would you buy?

Which would you buy?

• 94' Formula Firebird

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • 87' Trans Am GTA

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

tpivette89

So ive got some extra cash laying around and ive found two local vehicles for sale that im interested in buying. Well, actually, i can only purchase one. Id be using them for the occasional drive to work, and maybe for a few runs a year down the dragstrip. Here are the canidates:

1987 Trans Am GTA
- black hardtop with black GTA wheels
- 131k on the car
- 3k on both the rebuild 350TPI motor and 700R-4 trans
- 3.42 geared 10bolt rear
- edelbrock shorty headers and ypipe
- hooker catback
- AIR and A/C delete
- needs MAF sensor (i have a spare in my gagage)
$2500

1994 Formula Firebird
- maroon hardtop with C6 wheels and tires (17s tho)
- 150k on the car
- new opti, coil, module, plugs, wires, water pump, timing chain, rear main seal
- hooker shorty headers and ypipe
- hooker catback
- K&N cold air
- trans has shifting issues
$1800

now, the trans on the formula wouldnt be a real issue for me as i can find a used stocker for $100 or less and make it driveable. Ive R&R many auto transmissions before, so the work/labor isnt a concern. What does worry me a little is the 150k miles, regardless of all the maintenance that was done

the GTA looks great, and probably has less issues due to its rebuilt engine and trans... but the wife doesnt really like it as i owned a 86' V6 firebird in the past and she hated that car. Since the GTA resembles myold 86' a little (both are thirdgens), she associates it with the old 86' and thinks itll be another peice of crap

opinions?

Id go with the Formula. '94 is a 4th gen by the way. The LT1 is just a better motor in my opinion. And 150k isnt really anything on a small block chevy motor. Put a good trans and convertor behind, convert it to the LT-4 top end and have a nice day. Maybe a blower down the road.

I voted for the Formula, BigBird is more fun to drive than my GN except that its slower, the 4th gen chassis is light years better than the ancient platform the GN is built on.

Thinking of selling the 'bird. BTW.

Bob

get the Formula- everything is better on th 4th gens than the 3rd gens, and it's cheaper, too.