90's Buick wagon ?'s

6APPEAL

My family has out grown my wife's 00 Supercharged Regal. Thinking about selling it and buying a 94-96 Roadmaster Wagon. The wife is not opposed to the idea, especially since I showed her some pics of some nicely done newer wagons (tinted windows, wheels). There was a sweet looking late model wagon at Nat's, Dark Navy with woodgrain, lowered, wheels, tinted windows.:cool: I've found some nice low milage cars for decent money, I just have to drive to pick one up.

I would prefer an LT1 car, so does anyone know the VIN code used for the motor in the 9?'s GM big cars (B bodies???)? Any of you guys have one? Is it worth the extra time and effort to find an LT1 car verses a normal 5.7 car?:confused:
TIA,
John

The VIN code for a LT1 B-body is the letter P. BTW its the only motor available in a 94-96 wagon. I highly recommend this car. I'm looking for a replacement for mine. I've got 300K miles and its a great car but like anything with that many miles its nickel and diming out of my free time. Its better than any SUV IMO. I've hauled my GN on a car trailer to many a far away track and its never had a problem. Its my wifes DD and she just loves it even though she says its an old mans car. Its built like a tank, and she drives it like it is one.

So are you looking at one with woodgrain? You cant have an American station wagon with out it.

Great to know about the engine. I'm not being too particular about color or woodgrain right now. Just looking for a nice car to haul the kids and groceries in without being "packed in". The wife may have other ideas about the color and woodgrain.:tongue:
John

Buy a 95 it is the last year for OBD1 I drive a White with wood I love it cruise at 75 and gets 24 MPG with 2.90 rear gears:biggrin:

We had a 91 RM Estate, white with woodgrain, and it was a great replacement to the caravans we had. Got decent mileage, and had factory towing pkg.
But, opt for better rear shocks and a class 4 (+sway control) if youre going to tow anything big with it. We used ours to tow a buddies 69 Cutlass from Fredricksburg back to NY and it was scary enough to make us stop and get his dads F150 to haul it from PA. The shocks are way too soft, even in a factory tow pkg car. We nearly lost the whole car and u haul trailer going down a hill where the rear end started to sway out of control, even loaded per spec. The shocks are just too soft, even with load leveling.
Ours had a 305, and made it to about 280000, with an engine replaced at 125000. If it werent in an accident, and rusted up bad in a few spots, my dad would still be driving it. Instead, what did he buy? A caravan..lol.

We still have it sitting around, and I was toying with the idea of dropping my 73 455/400 in it for a tow rig, but it just needs too much work. It runs but the trans is shot. But, considering the mileage, the use we got out of it, and how its held up over the years, I'd buy one. And thats with the 305, I can only imagine an LT1!

One thing I have heard though, is something of a change in the optispark between 95 and 96, something done to make it last longer. I dont remember where I ran across that, just years ago when I was looking into a 9C1.

Buy a 95 it is the last year for OBD1 I drive a White with wood I love it cruise at 75 and gets 24 MPG with 2.90 rear gears:biggrin:

Yeah. I agree. The 94 uses the small mirrors mounted on the side of the door and the 95-96 uses the big truck sized mirrors mounted up by the glass which is why I also prefer the 95.Those small mirrors are worthless if you tow a trailer. Plus they only made about 5600 RM wagons in 95 which is the second or third rareist model of wagon behind the 96 Caprice wagon and the 1A2 Special Service Caprice wagons. I like the RM because of the vista vent roof. Caprice doesn't have it. Here's a couple of quick clues on how you can tell the year of a RM wagon. 1996 RMs are all Collectors Editions and have a special hood ornament. I've already told you the 95-96 cars have the big elephant ear mirrors. The 94-96 RM wagon used a black luggage roofrack. The 91-93 wagon used body colored roof racks. All LT1 powered RMs and Fleetwoods came with dual exhaust as standard. It was an option on the Caprice. Now knowing that,you should be able to easily ID one when you see it. These cars have a cult following, much like the TR. Down here in FL you see quite a few them and most of them are one owner cars. Its not uncommon for other owners to wave at you or many times people approach me and tell me they used to have a wagon and it was the biggest mistake they ever made when they sold them. Like I said they are just TRs.

One thing I have heard though, is something of a change in the optispark between 95 and 96, something done to make it last longer. I dont remember where I ran across that, just years ago when I was looking into a 9C1.

You typed that in while I was posting. The LT1 B-body already has the upgraded optispark. Basically GM just added an improved vent system to it. The 94 and older Camarobird and Vette dont but you can modify those to use the improved vent. I have a shop that does the modifaction so if you need a phone number PM me and I'll pass it along.

I run a classIV hitch on my wagon. The first thing I did was add a set of cargo coils with the stock shocks. Mine doesn't have the tow package either which was just a cooling fan,oil cooler and 2.93 gears anyway. I never had a problem and my trailer with the GN on it uses up more than the 6000 pound GVWR that its rated at anyway. I've had some white knuckled moments in the Smokey Mountians but nothing to be scared of anyway.

Wow, so much info about a car that is not even related to this board, except that it's a Buick.:cool: It's funny that I got more info here that on the V8 Buick board or the Impala SS board.:tongue: I have no interest in making another haul a$$ rod or a tow vehicle, that's what the GN's and truck are for. I need a dependable daily Mom's taxi.:p

Once again, thanks for all the info Eric. Now if I could only find something closer than 450 miles away!:eek:
John