89camaro needs a buick powerplant (help)

89_camaro

hi,
Im a new member as of today 9-10-05(oh yeah, im stoked) My name is kevin and i was wondering if you guys/gals can help me out. I have an 89 camaro rs and its completely stock. I really want to put a buick turbo engine and drivetrain in my camaro but i have no parts and i was wondering if anyone can give me advice as to where to begin research and how to go about getting an engine. I know that it is really expensive and rare to do this swap so i was wondering where i should start. I do know that there is an 89 firebird trans am with the buick drivetrain and that alot of parts are discontinued such as the engine itself and that there are differnces such as heads. So please if anyone can help me to do this swap as far as research ideas i would be greatful and very appreciative. I know your probably thinking im an ignorant kid but i think this would be a great challenge and great hobby to get into. Well, thanks for your time and im very serious about doing this swap to my car. thanks alot.

3gen Fbody swap details

There's alot of info you'll need to do the swap. I've done two personaly.
Here's a breif overview. E-mail me direct for supporting pictures and details.

1)Determine what level of performance your going to make a goal and overall driveability/emmission standards ect.
2)complete 87 GN engine/trans/wireing harness
3)Rear end and torque arm mods .. several options there
4)Wireing/ecm(stock/FAST/Accell),downpipe,intercooler,fuelsystem all dependant of what power output your going with.
5)Tuneing.

I realy enjoy this engine in this body of all the cars we've done. I purchased the last one I built back from the customer so I could put in my engine/trans.
With his engine/trans on pump gas,DOT tires through the mufflers it was running 1.48 60' 10.92@124mph.
Stock block,crank,rods JE pistons Non ported GN1's,Front mount and a .72turbo at 18psi.
Mail me for pic's/details be glad to help.
Scott~

heres what i used...

1) GN ENgine, Tranny, Ecm
2) Turbo Trans Am Tranny Crossmember, Driveshaft, Power Steering Resivoir, Coolant Overflow tank. Down Pipe (modified).
3) Casper's Stand Alone Wiring harness
4) HR parts & Stuff motor mounts.

Hardest Part is getting all the parts together. After that the whole swap only takes a weekend.

The stand alone harness is definetly worth it and it's bolt in.
Any other questions you can email me.

How does the stand alone harnes work? Does it work in conjunction with the factory LC2 harness and the bulkhead connection on the F-body (like an interface) or what? This is my last hurdle before the motor and tranny go in my 91 Formula. I hate wiring....

turbolimited said:
How does the stand alone harnes work? Does it work in conjunction with the factory LC2 harness and the bulkhead connection on the F-body (like an interface) or what? This is my last hurdle before the motor and tranny go in my 91 Formula. I hate wiring....

i too would like too know the answer too that question
i'm building an LC2/th200 for a '97 Camaro swap project

the wiring and motormounts will be the 2 biggest hurdles. any tips on mounts?

you can buy the motor mounts @ HRParts&Stuff. The wiring harness can be made from Casper's Electronics.

he KEvin how's it going? i work in palmdale so if you got the parts for the swap i could help you out some. Some one metioned caspers for a wiring harness which would be best unless you could find the harness from a tta. when i converted my hot air car i got all the mechanical parts from BWeavy a very good guy to deal with. if you have any questions look me up.
Dale

Matt Sando said:
you can buy the motor mounts @ HRParts&Stuff. The wiring harness can be made from Casper's Electronics.

thank you, i'll be looking into it :cool:

i am putting a buick GN powerplant in my 86 bird. this caspers electronics place.. they have a website. i hate wireing as well. only part of swap i was not looking forward too. (that and shelling out the cash for the engine)

Sure do... www.casperselectronics.com

Good luck!!!!

Anyone else get to the GM event at Stanton?
There were 3 Turbo LS1 cars and 1 Turbo LT1. (firebirds)/Camaros.
They all went in the 8s. :eek:
As the rest of the V8 world wakes up and realizes what we've been doing since the 80's and technology allows it to be affordable along with builders/owners not thinking a Carb is the only way to fuel a car, we are going to have some serious problems keeping up. :frown:

On a side note, did you notice the station wagon in Hot Rod Pump Gas Drags that was running a single turbo streight 6 from a trail blazer? Dyno'd at over 1000 on pump gas!
Things that make you go hummmm...
~Scott