89 TTA tach seems off??

kwiktsi

Anyone ever experience this? The tach in my car is off by about 1/2 when it revs. I will be full throttle, motor winding out and the tach shows 2800-3000 when it shifts.. If I rev it in neutral, it is the same way. Also, it seems to be a bit "jumpy" while I am driving. It will bounce 100-200 rpms almost like if it were missing or something. Any ideas on what to look for? I was going to look for a loose wire or something, but figured I would ask in case it was a common problem. Thanks in advance.
Joe

It is a very common thing for the tach to be a little off from the factory. They can be fairly inaccurate. Though I have never fiddled with mine so I couldnt tell you how to fix it:confused:

I have seen them off before, but not by half, usually only a couple hundred RPM's :).. There has to be something wrong somewhere- a loose wire or something.. Thanks.
Joe

Check all of the ground wires on the block (at the rear of the eng. on passenger side of the intake) and the ones under / behind the dash. Have you done any engine work lately ? or Had the instrument panel out for something ?? These things (TTA's) have a "thing" about good grounds.
The Tach is grounded through ckt. #150 (black wire .8mm thick, to grd #200. The feed wire is white .5mm, and runs through the tach filter (which is also grounded) to the tach from the CCC Ignition Module. I think the pin location on the ign. module is "E"
Good luck --- TURBOTA

Check the back of the tach itself, most GM cars use a jumper back there to make a tach work on 6 cyl or 8 cyl, if a V6 engine was used on a V8 set tach, it would read low by a good bit. I believe its labeled if there is one back there.

Thanks!! I was wondering if it was something like that since that is how it appears to be working. I didn't know GM used a jumper, I will look for it. Thanks.
Joe