87 turbo t w/ 2,000 miles possibly for sale

dz28 said:
I agree, the rarity of a low mile T that has been properly cared for is much greater than the GN. GN's are great but they all look alike. The T's each have a personality and some soul........... :cool:
-----------------------------
Rarity by itself is not the most predominant factor in pricing on the turbo Buicks. Peer acceptance seems to be.
Good luck in the sale/action

Wells said:
-----------------------------
Rarity by itself is not the most predominant factor in pricing on the turbo Buicks. Peer acceptance seems to be.
Good luck in the sale/action

Only in this forum in my opinion.........

the 1987 grand national and gnx will ALWAYS fetch the top prices period. it has been the trend in the past and will most likely be the trend in the future. people identify turbo buicks with the grand national. i love both. that said i would say the price will be 23k-25k.

dz28 said:
As the current owner of an 87 Black Turbo T w/13600 miles on it I would say don't sell it for less than $30K. There is a buyer out there for the car, I doubt you will find that buyer in this or other forums. Most of the folks here are serious about the hobby but not serious about the value of these cars. I suggest you post some good pictures of the car and the documentation and go from there. If selling your best bet is to list this car in Hemmings, serious collectors can be found there. Good luck.....

See this is where you are wrong. There are many people like myself who snipe these forums to see what is out there. I have come across many low mileage GN's on the various forums. Some were worth it and some were not. The problem I have had with finally getting what I want is I have been too slow to react, sometimes as little as 5 minutes.

I have bought cars off of Ebay, Collectorcartraderonline, AutoTrader and many other venues, including enthusiasts web sites such as this.

A serious car collector knows the value of a car, what it is worth and what they will pay. It is the person who just has to have it no matter the price who will pay more than the true value, just read this months Hemmings to see a complete write up on the subject and exactly what kind of lunacy is going on right now with the "so called" collector car market.

The true collector will not overpay for a car. They will wait it out, because there is always another one out there, and one that the seller needs the cash . . . that is the serious collector.

Being a low numbers car does not always mean more value. Look at the '86 GN for example. There are only 5,XXX out there and yet they command 20% less then the same '87.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but even though the T only has 2,000 miles, it will not command more than a comparable '87 GN and a comparable '87GN is not commanding that much right now. Just look at some of the high price ones on the various sites, and they are still on there month after month after month. I found one that has been on there two years later, and the guy still won't sell less than the number he is wanting.

This is not to say that you won't get what you are wanting, but you have to find the person who has to have it no matter what, and not the serious collector.

Exactly,having this car professionally auctioned if its in the shape this man says will be attracting those looneys you just mentioned.And yes its true that if seller needs fast cash he isnt going to wait it out.

Well, i guess the price of the car is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Honestly i am a t-type/ turbo T kind of guy and prefer them over the GN's, but i havent seen any T's bring more money over a GN in my life.

What is the going rate of a 2,000 mile GN in the same condition these days?
20,000 to 25,000 :confused:
:EDIT: OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT....
9K GN going for over 24,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dz28

Guess you are right, It may be worth 25K or more...maybe even 30K asking price, then again, it may sit there for awhile till someone buys it, depends on the market and the quality of the car.

B.J. :rolleyes: thats just a dick swinging contest and hit or miss on who is swinging it. Some cars go for way too much, some cars go for dirt cheap, better put a reserve on it if you dont want to go home with a empty wallet.

Cars like ours arent the typical B.J. winners, i doubt it would even break 20K on B.J. thats just my opinion.

In my opinion- Just my thoughts.....

it would bring more money if it were a grey interior car with tons of options, like vynal roof, trunk carpet kit, cruise,tilt,pw,pdl,8way seat,concert sound,trunk release,G87 with G80,dual ashtrays in back seat, it would be even more rare if it had WO2 blackout trim instead of chrome.

If it was a limited it would be worth more because of being 1 of 1035 IMO, not just the low production #, but the interior is specific to the limited package and they too can be optioned out slim to fat....

less money if it were a strip down version with blue, burgandy, or tan interior,no power windows, tilt cruise, peg leg,standard trunk kit, no trunk release ect ect ect.

I would have a hard time shelling out 25-30K for a white on burgandy with crank windows and a pegleg just because it has 2K on it :(

Anyway, just my thoughts

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:

Honestly i am a t-type/ turbo T kind of guy and prefer them over the GN's, but i havent seen any T's bring more money over a GN in my life.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dz28

Guess you are right, It may be worth 25K or more...maybe even 30K asking price, then again, it may sit there for awhile till someone buys it, depends on the market and the quality of the car.

B.J. :rolleyes: thats just a dick swinging contest and hit or miss on who is swinging it. Some cars go for way too much, some cars go for dirt cheap, better put a reserve on it if you dont want to go home with a empty wallet.

Cars like ours arent the typical B.J. winners, i doubt it would even break 20K on B.J. thats just my opinion.

In my opinion- Just my thoughts.....

it would bring more money if it were a grey interior car with tons of options, like vynal roof, trunk carpet kit, cruise,tilt,pw,pdl,8way seat,concert sound,trunk release,G87 with G80,dual ashtrays in back seat, it would be even more rare if it had WO2 blackout trim instead of chrome.

If it was a limited it would be worth more because of being 1 of 1035 IMO, not just the low production #, but the interior is specific to the limited package and they too can be optioned out slim to fat....

less money if it were a strip down version with blue, burgandy, or tan interior,no power windows, tilt cruise, peg leg,standard trunk kit, no trunk release ect ect ect.

I would have a hard time shelling out 25-30K for a white on burgandy with crank windows and a pegleg just because it has 2K on it :(

Anyway, just my thoughts

BW

BW, thanks for the comment(s). I look at the forums as a good place to vent your comments and size up what is happening in the space. The reality though it most of the forums don't seem to drive any sales activity unless someone has to move a vehicle quickly and for less than what it is worth. Case in point, I just sold a 13xxx mile Camaro SS, exceptionally nice car, never in rain or even a cloudy day. To say the car was clean would be a significant understatement. The car was listed on and off all the Camaro forum sites and generated little interest. I popped it on Autoswapper.com and sold it in three days for my full asking price. My point here is the buyer and seller got together and the deal was made. With this 2000 mile Regal, somewhere out in the internet vapor there is a buyer who will convince this seller to move the car and for one main reason, the buyer wants the car at a certain price point for whatever reason. He/she had one when they were new back in 1987, they saw one paste a Corvette one time back in the late 80's, whatever the reason there is a soft spot for that car in that color. Finding that person on a Buick forum is liking finding a needle in a haystack, you might get lucky but chances are you're going to find a lot of hay. Cars with low miles and zero mods that have some level of rarity are beginning to dry up. It was not all that long ago these cars sold for under 10K all day long with very low miles and nice condition. Regardless of what cars go for a B-J there will always be someone willing to pay up market for the right car. I really don't look at the opinions of those above this response as right or wrong and that includes me, they are simply voicing an opinion based on life experience. My experience is there are relatively few sales off forums at premium prices............

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:

It's all in the way it is presented. This auction is very nicely done. great pics and lots of info.

Perfect example . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1G4G...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is probably a better value, lower mileage and my understanding, the car is exceptionally clean and yet it is not bidding as high, look at the two auctions and you'll see why.

The problem with this auction is the guy wants $30K, or at least he did the last time it was up there so maybe he has re-thought that number. Low mileage ones like this are going for $25-26K, not $30K. Plus a zero feedback seller. It may be possible next year when it hits that magical 20 year number, but not right now.

I never said a T is worth more than the equivalent GN. It isn't. Nor do I expect it will be in the future. My point is, as a long time TR owner, I'd like to see the selling prices of
A-L-L TRs elevated from where they are and have been for some years. It is my observation that while things have been getting a little better of late, the prices of these cars are still pretty much in the doldrums.

Even so, it remains that Ts are much rarer than GNs, come in colors other than black, and are individually optioned. This makes them very desireable, at least to a slice of the TR community, and if you've ever tried to locate one in this exterior color, that interior color, these options - you know how hard it can be - there aren't any. On the other hand, I can find a perfect GN with my phone, checkbook and a free afternoon.

Getting TRs, boths Ts and GNs, on B-J and the like can only help the value of these cars.

I find the mindset of folks on this board to be extremely detrimental to TR values. Everyone here thinks they should be able to buy a pristine, 0 miles T for $10k, and the same GN for $12K. Everyone here low-balls everything. Ain't happenin', and I don't blame sellers for holding out. And when it comes time to sell mine, if I ever do, well, don't look for them here.

strike

dz28 said:
BW, thanks for the comment(s). The reality though it most of the forums don't seem to drive any sales activity unless someone has to move a vehicle quickly and for less than what it is worth. It was not all that long ago these cars sold for under 10K all day long with very low miles and nice condition. My experience is there are relatively few sales off forums at premium prices............

I come here and see what everyone is buying and selling their cars for. If you do a search in this forum under my name on a certain blue limited with 20K in recent reciepts that i purchased in wisconsin last month, you will see cars can still be purchased at rock bottom prices. I paid 5K for it and it just turned 100K. Its worth triple that, i know from the offers ive recieved...

From what ive read above, you think everyone is selling their cars too cheap on this forum and are ready to "give" them away for a quick sale.....also you are selling a SWEEEET car for premium coin, it didnt sell here, so its off to evilbay... I really hope you get what your asking for it... I didnt buy it because im a tight ass..

We are at the extreeme opposites of the spectrum, i buy as cheap as possible for the right car, and you are selling the right car for as much as possible. That makes sense to me, if you get what your asking, then obviously your not asking too much and you found the right buyer.

As i read 70Mach1's post about a serious collector:

70Mach1 said:
A serious car collector knows the value of a car, what it is worth and what they will pay. It is the person who just has to have it no matter the price who will pay more than the true value, just read this months Hemmings to see a complete write up on the subject and exactly what kind of lunacy is going on right now with the "so called" collector car market.

The true collector will not overpay for a car. They will wait it out, because there is always another one out there, and one that the seller needs the cash . . . that is the serious collector.

That is how ive been doing it since i was 16, ive owned over 60 cars and im a diehard car lover.
The longer your into a certain breed of car you know what the difference between a good deal and a complete steal of a deal is... also, the longer your into the breed, you seem to find better deals..

My guess is that your going to sell your car to someone who really wants it and really doesnt care what it costs, tis the B.J. swinging contest.
Im not trying to be abrasive, just being realistic IMO
BW

70Mach1 said:
It's all in the way it is presented. This auction is very nicely done. great pics and lots of info.

Perfect example . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1G4G...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is probably a better value, lower mileage and my understanding, the car is exceptionally clean and yet it is not bidding as high, look at the two auctions and you'll see why.

The problem with this auction is the guy wants $30K, or at least he did the last time it was up there so maybe he has re-thought that number. Low mileage ones like this are going for $25-26K, not $30K. Plus a zero feedback seller. It may be possible next year when it hits that magical 20 year number, but not right now.
-----------------------------------------------
It is not a solidroof, and my guess is that is causing the spread in bidding. The t-top might be a better value, hard to say, but I would have to do the solid roof, more mileage and price difference regardless. I am suprised that the t-top is doing as well as it is.

strikeeagle said:
Take that car to B-J Scottsdale next year. It'll bring nice money. As the owner of a 1,000 miles T, I feel these cars are underappeciated. I love GNs but there are 26,000 86s-87s, and still many with no miles. Ts, well, you're looking at a needle in a haystack. Take it to B-J and everyone will benefit. These ARE NOT $20K cars anymore, guys.

strike

I just wanted to quote you on this subject and let you know that i TOTALLY agree with you that the T's AND t-types should be worth more than a GN if they are in identical condition but they arent.
GN's bring more now, but the tides will change you will see a change where everyone wants more flavor(T)..5 years max is my opinion where they are bringing more money over the GNs...
Im just glad they are BOTH bringing more coin
BW

Gn's are a dime a Dozen :tongue: :eek: IF I had $30K it would be in the hands of the owner of this white T... unlike some that pay $20somthing thousand for a 49K mile ,then this car is worth $30k

Dont sell the car ,when I hit the lottery I will look you up....

Now a Sage Green car I would kill for that......well maybe :rolleyes:

strikeeagle said:
I find the mindset of folks on this board to be extremely detrimental to TR values. Everyone here thinks they should be able to buy a pristine, 0 miles T for $10k, and the same GN for $12K. Everyone here low-balls everything. Ain't happenin', and I don't blame sellers for holding out. And when it comes time to sell mine, if I ever do, well, don't look for them here.

strike
Agreed, but if it wasnt for everyone IN here "enthusiasts" there wouldnt be everyone OUT THERE wanting to be us :biggrin:

peace
BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Agreed, but if it wasnt for everyone IN here "enthusiasts" there wouldnt be everyone OUT THERE wanting to be us :biggrin:

peace
BW

Hey Bry,

Don't get me wrong. I love the people in here. And I don't fault them for wanting a great deal. On the other hand, I don't go to the corner store expecting to buy a loaf of bread for a dime...

Peace, too.

strike

I don't think that the T-Types & Turbo-T's in general will ever come any closer percentage wise to a GN or a GNX than they are now, with mileage and everything else being equal. I don't think that the board members in general expect anything for free. I certainly don't. It is harder to establish a value for the t's because they are less of them. Everybody knows what a GN goes for. Determining a fair price for a t is similiar to establishing a fair price for the TTA's. Not enough of them to get a good average. Just my opinion. I hope that everybody gets what they want when and if they sell their cars, be it a GNX, GN, T-Type, Turbo-T, or TTA.

Wells said:
-----------------------------------------------
It is not a solidroof, and my guess is that is causing the spread in bidding. The t-top might be a better value, hard to say, but I would have to do the solid roof, more mileage and price difference regardless. I am suprised that the t-top is doing as well as it is.

In many ways I agree, but when someone like myself, the hardtop vs. T-Tops don't matter as much. If they seal right and the car has not been driven real hard, it shoudd eliminate most of the problems experienced with the people buying these for performace.

I already have a performace type car in my garage, the 96 Mystic, and if I want to go out and have some fun, that is the car I will go out and beat on a bit. My goals are old fart type goals, to get something to drive on a weekend afternoon and go to a few car shows, so to me it doesn't matter, solid or T. I just wanted the cleanest, low mileage one I can find at a fair price.

I am hoping my search is over tomorrow after the many dissapointments I have had the past 6 months in finding one of these with low milage and a car worthy of the the mid 20's. The last one I thought was a go, had an interior that was factory fresh, but leaked from every gasket, and damn near every body panel had dings or scratches.

Back to the original subject at hand. I think a White T is a beauty, something nice and different, but pure politics aside, I just don't see it going for more dollars than a comparable '87 GN will bring. I think the fact that the GN is a sinister looking black car and has those nice badges and embroidery on the interior. If the price of the GN's continue to climb, it will only help the price of the T's, but I highly doubt it will ever surpass a GN. This of course is my opinion.

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
My guess is that your going to sell your car to someone who really wants it and really doesnt care what it costs, tis the B.J. swinging contest.
Im not trying to be abrasive, just being realistic IMO
BW

Brian, I do not find that abrasive at all, and I hope no one is taking what I an saying is abrasive. Sometime, I am not politically correct, and the reason most likely is I was born before the words were even thought of. Heck, PC always meant personal computer, noy that political correctness BS.

The reason I am selling the car, is just that. There is lunacy out there right now, and I feel it is time to try and take advantage of it, so call me a capitalist.

Heck, look what happened after that GN went for $32K at B-J this year, all of a sudden every frigging ad brought that up. We'll see just how the B-J markets takes to Twinvipers GN to see if the market is that strong, or if that B-J car was just an anomaly as I expect it was.

70 Mach,
Why don't you look at Twin Viper's GN? It has 13K miles and is supposed to be mint. He'll take 21K before it hits BJ. That's a fair deal. It should do 25K when it hits.

I know this is a little off the 2k mile car topic price but it relates. Does anyone else agree with this statement? If dz28s black T was Light Sage Metallic, Light Chestnut or Rosewood with identical stats, it would sell for or at least or get real close to his 22k asking price? Of course he would probably want more for it then. Those I would have to say are about the rarest and most desireable colors out there. I say it would in a heartbeat. Most people if there gonna buy a low mileage TR for BIG money and its black its gonna be a GN. Just my thoughts. What do you guys think?