87-T instrument lights not working

dlo

i have owned this car a few months and the instument lights were not working when i got the vehicle. With the car running and lights on, i checked all the blade fuses on the fuse panel and noticed the inst 5 amp fuse had no voltage. I pulled the blade fuse out and could not find voltage on either side of the fuse holders. I am not sure how i should proceed. I thought about jumping the inst fuse to the fused side of another spade? If i did this maybe that would tell me if my lights would work? I thought about using 16 gauge wire, any thoughts?

Check the 20 A Tail Lamps fuse it feeds the 5A LPS fuse.

Don't add any wires yet.

Check the parking lamps out back too they should be out with headlamps on now if the fuse is bad.

I have voltage on both sides of the 20 amp tail light fuse. The tail lamps are lit with the head lights on. It appears that the inst fuse is the only fuse i am unable to find voltage.

Check the dimmer switch and wiring then.

Brown wire to it is the feed from the headlamp switch.

Green wire out is the voltage that feeds the 5A lamps fuse.

Make sure the control is all the way up on high. :p

IF the brown wire going to the dimmer control rheostat has no power with the lights on there is a splice up in the harness above the fuse box that feeds the dimmer switch from the main headlamp switch brown wire.

Hopefully it's a dimmer switch issue it's probably easier to replace than finding and repairing that splice.

I also noticed a tiny blue wire which lookes like it has been cut and wrapped in black electric tape. The wire is sticking out between the dash console and the steering wheel stalk. The dimmer switch will turn on and off my dome light, but does will not turn on the dash instrument panel.