87 stopped working!

blueta

Alright, my neighbor has 2 87 gn's and was driving his higher mileage one. It has 13X,XXX miles on it and basically stock except for a chip and 009's. It broke down on him and won't start now. He asked me to look at it and here's what I found out:
My neighbor was driving and at very little throttle the car would stumble. It would clear up when he gave it more gas. After trying to drive it home like that it just stalled and wouldn't start again.

Plugs are firing so it has spark. We also just threw some new ones in there anyway since he had platinums in it.

Fuel pressure is about 40psi when primed. The fuel pressure quickly drops down after it primes. Just threw on a working regulator from his other one and still drops FAST. Leading me to belileve it's the drain back vavle. When the car is cranking it also drops down to mid 30's. But I don't believe this is the problem.

I took off the up pipe just to see if I could spray some ether in it just in case it was fuel related. When someone was cranking it and spraying ether in it it was pushed right back out the throttle body. I then put my hand on the tb (probably not smart after spraying ether in it ;) ) and when it was cranking sure enough air is being pushed out. I went to check if the rockers were moving so I pulled the breather and they were (well he 2 I could see were). So the timing chain is still connected. Just wondering if it seems like it's a timing problem cause it sounds like it to me.

Any other ideas will be GREATLY appreciated!

If air pushes out of the throttle body, then the chain has slipped and you need to replace it.
BW :cool:

That's what I was thinking also. Thanks! BTW, if the hot airs use the same pushrods I have a set then.