87 regal question dash cluster

chaparral

ok guys, ive looked over the entire forum for the right place to ask the question this might not be the place, but if not just direct me to the place,

now your gonna have to go back a bit here, im working on 87 regal limited 88,000 orig. miles 3.8 attempting to cosmetically cloan the demon gn or t type, my dash cluster is of a normal regal i have two options i think i have a digital dash

question one, will it work with existing wiring harness set up of a regal limited
question two, if the digital dash doesnt work with the analog work

either application at this time there is only a regular 3.8 engine in car, i figure on looking good then going for an engine up grade, im really partial to the digital i just like the look, are the wiring harness's interchangable,

and secondly i recently removed the split bench and installed buckets power drivers seat while seat was out i didnt think to look but is the wiring for a power seat there as an option even if it was a manual seat car. did they use like a universal wiring harness for anything.

if the dash clusters are different wiring schmatics what has to change in order to use either of the two. ill be turbo eventually but im getting ready to change the dash out with another color, and column shifter to console i have all that i was figuring i could do it all at same time,

does anyone have any thoughts they would care to share.

thanks steve

Will try to answer your questions.

First off, the engine wiring harness as well as the wiring harness behind the dash should be swaped out to make a clean conversion of your normally aspirated Regal Limited to a turbo Regal. The dash wiring harness includes the fuse block and the C-100 plug that passes all the wiring to the engine wiring harness. It is attached to the back of the dash reqiring it to be pulled out of the car which is not that difficult. The harness goes all the way across the dash and has connection to the engine wiring harness in the computer area with these connections unique to the turbo Regal as well.

It will be easier to change these two harnesses out together, as all the power supply for the ECM, injectors etc comes through the fuse box. Keep in mind the passenger side fender and inner fender has to come off to swap out the engine harness as it passes through the firewall behind the passenger tire.

When changing the dash wiring harness you will need to chose the harness for the digital dash or the harness for the analog dash. They are two distinct harnesses. The engine wiring harness will have provisions for either the boost light in the digital dash or pressure readout in the analog dash cluster.

It would be good to study the wiring harness diagrams available at:
Wiring Diagrams

Therefore getting to your questions:
question one, will dash cluster work with existing wiring harness set up of a regal limited

Answer one: The functions of a turbo Regal will not be added without changing the harness behind the dash.

question two, if the digital dash doesn't work will the analog work

Answer two: The harnesses are unique to the digital and analog dashes and to a normally aspirated Regal versus an turbo Regal. It would be easier putting in the correct harness for the dash you chose to use.

For power seats there is a Jumper Block (435), that the orange wire feeding the power seat unit should connect to, located above the fuse block on the underside of the top of the dash. If you have power door locks the jumper wire from the 30 amp fuse should already be connected to the block. Here is a schematic of the diagram from "gn ttype dot org":

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/power_seat_ckt.jpg

I left the column shift in our Limited conversion as I went for the sleeper look also keeping the flat hood. The column is relatively easy to change out. Just make sure you find a column that is tight in the tilt area.

The other major change was the need to switch the heater box, since the A/C condenser section for the Limited protruded into the engine compartment at least two additional inches. May not seem like a big deal, but with the turbo downpipe it would make changing the #6 spark plug nearly impossible and add to the difficulty of removing the passenger side head. So this was swapped out for the heater from the donor turbo Regal.

The engine harness, heater swap and dashboard wiring harness probably took me a total of 24 hours (with realigning the front fender) to complete, over several days. This is a lot of work and represents only a part of the things needing changed like; the transmission for one that can take the torque, the transmission support to go with the transmission if a TH 200C was in the car before, the differential from the light duty 7 1/2 inch pinion size unit to the heavier 8 1/2 inch unit, the shorter drive shaft to go with the differential change, the fuel tank with internal fuel pump, the harness from the fuse block to the drivers rear corner of the trunk (with the extra wire), the harness at the back of the car to include the power to the in-tank fuel pump, the fuel line with filter, the return line and all the unique clips along the frame rails for these fuel lines. To change the fuel lines the frame should be separated from the body, or flexible sections incorporated in this area as the hard lines are fastened to the top of the frame and impossible to detached with the body on the frame.

This is not a project for most, and would be much easier to purchase a turbo Regal than to fashion one from a NA car. An NA car switched over will never have the value of a turbo Regal when completed, so is only a matter of accomplishment, or enhancing a car that is already in great shape.

sounds more like small block time then turbo 6 and just keep the ever so stylish look of the grand national, its not the same but a budget is a budget althought with the right shop this could be doen realativly easy, i think im about to get a shop with a lift in it, i think that would make easy work of it, tho it may not add any value it would add alot of accomplishment, and hell its a hobby or is it a disease..

hey does anyone know what the piece is called that the head lights mount into and the grilll i think its made of fiberglass its the aurodynamic part of the front, the part where the hood emblem is mounted i broke mine yesterday trying to gt a detached hood cable to realease i waslike omg its broken i think its called a header piece or someting grand natianals have them without a hood emblem ddont they what is that piece called runs across entire front of car, i need one of those, now