87 monte ss comp chip question ??

daddyd87mcss

I have an 87 Monte and I have an 383 with a Howards hydraulic roller cam 535/555 intake/ exhaust @294/302 degree duration 112 +4 lobe cen. Is it possible to have a chip made to work with my computer and computer controlled quadrajet, with mods to the quadrajet.

Are you currently using the ECM with your 383 ? How does it run ? What mods did you do to the Q-jet? What's your Cam duration at .050 Lift ? The secondary side of the Carb is not controlled by the ECM so full throttle runs should be fine as long as you have enough fuel going in. My experience is that the ECM will have a very difficult time with it if your pulling less than 15 psi of vac at idle. I didn't even bother keeping the ECM in my Monte and all it has is just a Comp Cam 280H and that has 230 deg @ .050 lift. I would ditch the ECM only because it exists for only for Emissions tests ! It does not have enough range for big Cams and controlling a Carb. It's a completely different story if you decide to make it a Fuel Injected motor !

I have not put the motor in the car yet. The cam is 234/242 @ .050 . I plan on getting a quadrajet from SMI. I was not sure what else you loose when you get rid of comp and I know fuel injection is at least 2k to start.

I would talk to SMI & get their opinion since they're setting up your Carb. You told them about your Cam & that you want to keep your ECM?

Ditch the factory ECM and go to a non-computer controlled carb. You lose nothing and you'll save yourself tons of trouble.

OK I just don't want to loose any other functions by ditching the comp. I talked to Lonnie at extreme automatics he recommended an 9.5 non lock up 2004r converter and transmission.

what kind of rear gear are you going to use ? a non-lockup 9.5 converter with that cam will easily have a stall speed of 3200- 3500 RPM which means cruising on the highway you'll be slipping along with stock 3.73's. even so you better run a big trans cooler and don't drive to much on the highway

What's the difference between the two and how would it affect overall performance with a lockup vs non lockup. Cause I would like to go down highway ocassionally.