87 Intake/Headers swap

SeanBromptner

TurboRiv
I am planning on taking an 87 Intake setup and swapping it for my stock 85 intake setup.
And also swapping stock GN headers for my 85 stockers.
Mounting the turbo upfront, just like the 86/87 cars.
And run a stock intercooler and piping.

Has anyone done this to a hot air before?

:cool: I have a full set in good shape, with crossover and UP;) Spares but if needed i would sell for a good price, not cheap but not to high:cool:

The sensors won't line up off the harness to the new intake and the alternator, coil pack, and ac compressor will have to be relocated. You will have to turn your hotair into an 86/87 to get the intake and everything else to work. Let me know if you want a list of parts that you will need to do the swap.

Better do lot's of reading on the board ( 12 posts I see)
or spend lot's of money
Been there done that:rolleyes:
4 setup later:p
I'm there:smile:

The sensors won't line up off the harness to the new intake and the alternator, coil pack, and ac compressor will have to be relocated. You will have to turn your hotair into an 86/87 to get the intake and everything else to work. Let me know if you want a list of parts that you will need to do the swap.

I was planning on just making it an 86/87. And i took out my ac compressor so that wont be an issue.

Yeah ill def take a list of parts that ill need for the swap. Appreciate it.

Better do lot's of reading on the board ( 12 posts I see)
or spend lot's of money
Been there done that:rolleyes:
4 setup later:p
I'm there:smile:

haha man
I will def do some reading then.
Notice a huge difference from HA to IC'd? What's your ET's from HA to IC'd?

Just doing the electronics swap I noticed a huge difference. Alot more responsive.

But I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I’m sure there are a few things missing maybe someone else can add what I've forgotten. Peter Hoffman makes and sells a info guide that was helpful when doing the conversion and still is helpful when I need to look stuff up.

wiring harness with all the relays
ecm and computer chip
air temp sensor
esc module
map sensor
-might as well get a 3 bar map sensor
crank sensor
tps sensor
coolant temp sensor
coolant lines
vacuum lines
fan temp switch
downpipe
passenger header and crossover pipe
crank pulley
water pump pulley
turbo and heat shield you’ll need both the upside down J bracket that mounts to the head and then to the turbo shaft bracket
oil feed and return lines to turbo
-go with the steel braided ones
intercooler with brackets and fan
up pipe from intercooler
throttle body and plenum
intake manifold
water neck housing
electric fan
belt tensioner
accessory bracket
braces for the alternator and ac compressor
-since you got rid of the ac you could go with Chanpions bracket
ac lines
top radiator brace
fuel lines
fuel rail
coil pack and ignition module
coil pack and ignition module two piece brace
MAF sensor
passenger side valve cover
crank pulley
throttle and trans cable
engine and trans dipstick tubes
power steering pump along with reservoir
bracket
air intake tube
plug wires

Thanks Tubejitsu, looks like ill be buyin a lot of parts haha

Yes, I am going to mod my 85 Riv.

Welcome to a very very small group of T Type Riviera owners of the good (84-85) fuel injected versions. There are a few owners around here who have done some mods to these cars, though not a complete conversion to the 86-87 GN set-up (not that I have seen anyway) for one complicated reason, it is not a direct bolt on as the 84-85 turbo Regals/GNs, thanks to the front wheel drive set-up. Not that it can't be done (working on doing my 85) , but there are complications that make parts fabrication necessary (mostly tubing and some brackets).

Where to start? well if you notice, our engines are mounted in the chassis off center by 2-1/2 inches to the right (passenger side) to clear the transaxle, and this is where the problems start. Just mounting an 86-87 passenger header to the right side of the engine, there is no clearance at all between it and the frame rail, so a bit of cutting and welding to the frame would be necessary, but header is so close to upper control arm bushings, even a heat sheild wouldn't save them, further, because of the Riviera AC box (all Rivs I have seen have AC) there is no place at all to run the downpipe. One more on the headers, the crossover pipe won't work either, thanks to the front axles and differential, there is no room at all under the engine for it. Sorry for the news, but that is how it is!

So far the best solution I have found which is fitting, is to mount the 86-87 GN passenger header to the driver side of our cars, this mounts the 86-87 turbo between the engine and firewall, similar to the stock Riviera turbo, with plenty of clearance to firewall and using the 86-87 turbo bracket and heat shield (slight adjustment of shifter cable bracket required). Of course the header does need to be modified to run the crossover, which is in the same place as the stock Riviera up and over the transmission at the bellhousing)

I have to cut this short here, but if you are interested, I can continue to post later with some pics to show my progress. One good thing is we shouldn't need a lot of the GN parts to convert over, bad thing is fabrication is required to hook everything up.

Attachments

• Riv 87 turbo sheild.jpg
    Riv 87 turbo sheild.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Riv 87 turbo fit above.jpg
    Riv 87 turbo fit above.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 166