87 GN in storage for seven years... what to look for?

AZ Vic

Inhereited an 87 GN that was in storage for seven years. I flushed the gas, changed plugs, oil, filter, flushed cooling system, new batt. Still haven't changed the fuel filter. This car has many mods...

Real rough idle, low boost build up off line < 3 lbs, really lags off the line...

What else should I look for? Been told valve springs... and then told not.

anything else?

Thank you in advance,

Vic

I'd sure flush all the brake fluid out of it. I imagine the injectors and gummed up bad. You might try a strong max mix of xylene in there but you'll probably need to pull the injectors and get them cleaned.

can't you clean them on the car with that pressurized solvent? or is it worth it to remove them?

True, the solvent would be a good try. You have to block the return line and of course disable the pump so it runs off the can only. Probably worth a shot.

Save Your Time And Money, And Just...

Do the full range of diagnostics via Scanmaster, TL, or DS...then you'll know more than our best "guesses", and "maybes".

Sounds like hopefully a fun project...tell us more about the car when you have time.

HTH :)

If it a local car, call Nick. He knows most of the Regals in the valley. Also bring it to Speed World on Superbowl Sunday.
Welcome to the game.
Dennis

Nick Micale
602-866-9908
arizonaGN@earthlink.net
www.arizonaGN.com

I shot him a mail, but he hasn't got back to me. I'll give him a call today.

Thanks

Vic

Do the whole spring cleaning on www.gnttype.org

Valve springs will eventually have to be replaced, not immediately, but I would not take the car to the track with the old ones.

You say the car has "many mods", do you have a breakdown of what it has?

First thing I would do is get a Walbro 340 fuel pump, should be much better than what was avail 7 yrs ago. Second I would get rid of whatever chip is in it, since chip technology is light years ahead of what it was back then.

I'd replace the ENTIRE fuel system before even cranking the car.
New:
pump
filter
pressure regulator
injectors.

flush tank and lines.