87 GN engine in a sandrail

Gotta say its nice lookin ride. This is exactly what i want to do, except I want a T/A motor (but who doesn't). You shouldn't have any of the above stated problems. The set up you will work great in the sand, but I would recommend a BOV to help with the on, off, on again spooling. Plus it will help lessen the abuse on the turbo.

Who's the manufacturer of the chassis & trans?

Thanks.Got it fired last night.

What T/A motor?? Trans Am? I thought they were the same thing just a crossdilled crank?

Sand Cars Unlimited is the chassis builder and it has an Albins AGB 5 speed H pattern trans.Albins is based in Austrailia.Weddle engineering in California is the importer.

DUH i forgot about T/A performance.I would love to have one of those.
I priced it all out also.

I almost went Fortin but got a smoking deal on this Albins so I coudnt pass it up.
I couldnt afford one now though thats for sure.I bought it 3 years ago.

I mainly go to Dumont but Coral Pink and Glamis also.

Well maybe I'll see you out at Glamis sometime. Next time your there, keep an eye out for this car, it's my uncle's, cause I'm usually with him.

Attachments

• Jim's car.jpg
    Jim's car.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 749
great looking ride, post a video of it when you get a chance to, good times.

Sweet man I thought on building me a rail or something. I just dont know of anywhere to get plans and I have never seen on in person.

Is there a forum I can go to and look at these and get a idea of parts I will need.

Building one is something I never want to do ever again.
There are several builders that offer chassis kits.
Funco,Sand Cars Unlimited which is what mine is and Tatum are a few that are still in business.

TO GN Poweredrail:

Skidman here, your rail puts mine to shame,but its primary use is upsetting crotch rockets on the street. I am 5 and 0 locally.I still have a VW ball joint front end. My GM 3254L has held up well considdering the input given by the good ol LC2 engine. Pics of my rail are in B4B section.Skidman.

Guys, these are all SICK machines with beautiful fab work. Impressive! I am jealous! I need to play powerball more, could use a 4-5 seater here in SoCal. ;)

You cant get a automatic transaxle to hold any decent power.The trans I am using in this car is over 20k.Its a 5 speed H pattern and has a 11.5" R/P.It can hold roughly 1500HP.
DSC03070.jpg

I thought about dry sumping it but I have had good luck in the past with an extra quart of oil and not wheelieing too long.I always watch the oil pressure guage when in a wheelie...if it drops which it never did in my old car which had a hot air I would bring it down.

Wow. How is the engine mounted in there? Just by the trans?? I don't see any motor mounts or anything?? Very cool.

Took it out last weekend for my shake down/maiden voyage run.
Some small issues is all I had.
I have oil breather leaking issues which I already have Moroso breather stands coming to weld on.
It wont go over 10 psi without crapping out and sputtering so I am trying to trace that issue down.