87 GN Drivetrain into 85 El Camino

ksmmspt

Hi,
I've just picked up a low mile drivetrain and am thinking of dropping it into my 85 Elky. How easy will this be? My 85 has a 305 in it now. I have heard that I'll need a custom driveshaft since I plan on using the GN's posi unit. I'm worried about the engine and if I can keep my elky hood. Also, will the motor mounts be in a different place on the v6 vs. the 305? Can I continue to use the existing brake and ac system on the elky? Sorry if these questions are silly, but I've never done a swap of any kind. Thanks in advance.

You can definetly keep your stock hood. The frame side of the motor mounts will be different from your 305 and will be in a different location. You can use your vacuum brakes. The only part that you can keep of the Elky's AC is the heater/box and probably the condensor. You can try to use the GN ac lines but Im not that familiar with AC in the Elky if it will work out. You may want to try a search in this section there has been some discussions on Elky's in the recent past.

It's best to have the car that the drivetrain came out of sitting there while you do the swap. You'll be amazed of the little things you'll need off of it.

Exhaust question

I will also change the exhaust system and want to add a test pipe with a good cat-back muffler system that's not restrictive and sounds good without spending too much $$. I will not be using a cat. Now, since the elky is a little longer than the GN, how will I make a GN system work? Would I need to have a longer test pipe? What do you guys think?

You can use a aftermarket GN exhaust on the El Camino. The difference will be that you will need to lengthen either the Y pipe just before it goes into the mufflers OR lengthen the tail pipes after they come out of the mufflers and go over the rear end.

A local guy here in Tn. built one of these a few years ago and put tons of work and money into it but when it was done it looked like GM had done it. He took a complete front end from a GN and fitted it to the Elcamino. It took some sheet metal work on the doors and fenders but he made it look completely stock. It had the GN drivetrane along with the GN dash and interior with a refitted console. It was the GN black with 87 GN wheels and black bumpers and looked showroom new. Just passing it along.
Steve

I saw an Elky with GN nose in New Hampshire a few years ago(10+years), it came out very nice. the guy used the GN doors and modified the rear part of the door jam area with the front of the GN quarters. Im not sure if the glass was changed, but it looked factory. Car also had 87 GN interior and drive train. Only part I didnt like was the truck was white.

Here's what I plan on doing: Keep the elky front and add the GN hood. There will be some modifications to the front header panel for the lines to match. Repaint the car a 2-tone black and silver and add the entire GN interior, console, dash, cluster, steering wheel, door panels, etc. My elky has the Conquista package so I will keep that decal set on the rear tailgate and add a "turbocharged" emblem under it or to the side. The car has a lot of chrome pieces which I will maintain. I have an extra set of GN wheels which will be added as well. Add, of course, the GN drivetrain. What do you think?

That sounds cool. If you need a GN hood scoop Ive got 30-40 GN hoods a few that are less then perfect and Id sell the scoop part for $40+shipping. Post some pics when your done, I'm sure alot of guys would love to see how your truck/car comes out. It should be sweet.

There was an el camino on Ebay with GN interior and everything GN, it looked very very nice. I don't remember where the seller was from, but gosh it looked great.

If you do the conversion keep us posted on it!

I'll definitely keep you all posted as the process unfolds. I will keep updated photos in my webshots photo album. I took a bunch of hoses, plugs, and other parts to my mechanic yesterday and hopefully, this week, we'll try to get the engine to come alive. If it does, this will be a fun project.

Intercooled88s said:
That sounds cool. If you need a GN hood scoop Ive got 30-40 GN hoods a few that are less then perfect and Id sell the scoop part for $40+shipping. Post some pics when your done, I'm sure alot of guys would love to see how your truck/car comes out. It should be sweet.

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to use the GN hood off the wrecked GN. It only needs minor work. I'll definitely post some pics.

Red's EVTB here in Newport News is doing an El. Car looks good with GN dash, seats, center console.

If you want to know all of the little things that need to be done, but wouldn't normally think of, you can check out my site(mirror). www.turbo6.com
Click on wagon conversion pages, and then on the two documents that I have. It might help a little. I haven't worked on my real page in a long time, so you will have to deal with this one and all it's annoying pop-ups. Sorry.

Brian

GN/Elky

I have a 1982 El Camino with GN rear diff, trans, engine, interior, dash, console, exhaust, etc... Located in Eufaula if you'd like to take a look or I will forward some pictures to you.

wahoo50 said:
I have a 1982 El Camino with GN rear diff, trans, engine, interior, dash, console, exhaust, etc... Located in Eufaula if you'd like to take a look or I will forward some pictures to you.

That would be great. Forward them to me at: smount@centurytel.net

I would love to see it in person. I'll keep in touch as the project moves forward. Thanks,

Scott