87 Buick GN

gn

I have known Jim for about 2 years now. He does not know these cars like some of us but appreciates them for sure. I know a local guy that sold a hacked up car for twice what it was worth. When it comes to what someone is willing to pay that is what it is worth. There are guys out there that do not sit on tb.com 24 hours a day and follow the market. There are also some guys out there that still think when they see gnx and fender vents no matter if it is a clone or not they almost go back in time. Mileage or condition does not matter to them. They actually beleive the hype. So they pay more. Just because they gotta have that look or tell their buddys about the gnx/fbi/twin turbo/ etc. myths. They actually live in that idea rather than in reality. So those guys will pay more. Whether or not they get a stellar car or just another ragged out TR with low oil pressure it is their luck of the draw. You are more of a collector/enthusiast. If you feel the car is or was not as advertised say your peace. Move on. This guy is truly not into these cars like some of us. He is very uneducated on them. He is not a crook either.

I sold Jim the transmission and converter that is in this car. He paid what I was asking and drove down to pick it up. It was not an elcheapo build nor was the converter. V6RACER built the trans. He hooked me up with nice billet parts and dual fed the clutches. So in response to your statement yes that trans does shift harder than any of them you probably ever rode in before. Jim does not own or sell junk. He has pmmed me on this and other forums with advice on what to put in the car. I was only able to sell him the transmission. I offered him advice and my opinion on numerous occasions. I know where the car was built and seen it back then. It was a stellar car then. I am sure after the trans went out that was in it before it sat for a good long time and got weathered. It does have gnx parts on it though. Car has some value. I don't think his asking price is over priced and I noticed he was willing to deal with someone that was serious. I know he financed the car through his former employers bank. I am sure he will have the title in hand soon enough and this will be a great ride for someone. Just my take on things :wink:

gn

whats the trick to get you to call me(or give me a # ) to see this car... must be doing something wrong...

Wes 88 SS

Yes, Jim is not a "Bad" guy. And I still wish I could buy this car. I understand you want to defend a buddy in a questionable situation. But you have to see where I am coming from. Regardless of what he has told you, he absolutely did tell me (on numerous occasions) he had the title and the car was free and clear. He popped the fact that it wasn't after I had renegotiated for the car due to it's condition. I didn't feel 100% right about the purchase after seeing the car (I had to drive it home), and now this. So how would you feel if you just traveled 1000 miles to make a purchase and it falls apart because of this. Frankly. I feel that I handled it quite well. I simply said sorry I am going to have to walk away, and even offered him money for the gas that it took for him to drive 2 hours to meet me in Savannah. I cost me nearly $600 between the rental car and fuel for the trip to get to the meet. (And had to drive a Kia Rondo back up to Jersey instead of a Turbo Buick.)

Had he said, yeah I still owe a couple bucks on it to pay it off to get the title, or made me aware of the situation, I would have offered to rectify it with him, so he could have the title available. I wanted the car that badly.

"If you feel the car is or was not as advertised say your peace. Move on"

I did move on, I posted my assessment, answered the few comments others had about it. Jim came back on a tried to say that I was aware of the title situation, which is not true. This slanders my reputation as a serius buyer and I will not have it.

"So in response to your statement yes that trans does shift harder than any of them you probably ever rode in before"

I never alluded that there was a problem with the trans and how hard it shifted, I merely mentioned it. frankly I loved how stiff the drivetrain appeared to be.

As far as price goes. These car have value in two forms.

1. An original maintained low mileage example that is all there and functions properly at all points and has a clear title with no damage history. This is what fetches the higher prices due to the fact that it is rarest they can be found in this form. This is what would be considered a "classic" at this point.
These cars, depending on mileage, have been fetching between $15 -$25.

2. A car that is upgraded with no regards for originality. These cars are worth the sum of their parts. Meaning if you start with a good clean rolling chassis worth $4000 and have $1200 in the drivetrain, then you have a $16000 car. But in order for you to have that $16000 car, you must be able to prove the parts are there with receipts. Also, it is a car, there will be some depreciation when you go to sell it. This is what would be considered a "track car".

So, if you have followed the sales of these cars as closely as I have in the last year, a car that has no history other than what the current seller is telling you verbally, has very little value when compared to the above two categories. That leaves you with a 21-year-old-car. These cars are worth the least. But as you said, it is worth what someone will pay for it. I was willing to give what I feel was fair. (actually a little more due to the fact that I had a certified check made out in that amount)

All that being said, I will even offer a olive branch to the situation. He needs to sell the car, I want the car.

Jim, get the title situation rectified. When this is done contact me. If you need help to rectify the sitaution, let me know. Once I am confident that this is taken care of I will buy the car for my last offer minus the $600 it cost me to get there the last time. If you agree, the car will be gone a week later.

I believe this would be mutually beneficial to both parties.

I have seen and driven the car, therefore what ever we agree on for price from this point forward would be in stone. There shouldn't be any surprises on either end. (unless something has changed in the last month)

You also know that I am serious about buying the car. I have been there already with cash in hand.

Here is a chance for us both to put all of this behind us. Let me know what you wish to do. I need to know quickly as I have talked to a few others about their cars as well, and I do not wish to keep them hanging.

gn

I understand where your coming from. Jim should have clarified the title sooner. However I know he did not neglect it out of sheer disrespect for you or anyone else. Actually I know he is going to regret selling the car because he loves that damn car. I know he has his first child on the way and his new job was working him to death. Major overtime. I know he was married recently as well. Also he was not moderating on another forum like he had in the past and other members were asking where he had been. I was just stating I felt he did not intentionally try to screw anyone around. I am glad you seem to be willing to work with him and hopefully you guys can come to terms and make a transaction. I actually pmmed him on the other forum to log in to this thread and also told him that if I see any activity I will forward it to him. I understand your out 600 bucks. To this day I am out 20 grand because of a florida based shop that went down the wrong road. Yes it sucks but I try to move on but it is not easy. I wish I could trade the 600 with you vs what I lost. Jim will make it right. I wish you luck with whatever you purchase.

wes, thanks for the help. yes, i have a title issue but not b/c of any wrecks or stolen ****. its b/c my bank misplaced the damn orginal. i have a fresh title coming and will be CLEAN. as i said, i will encourage anyone to come and see the car yourself. i have checked my email. i have 2 calls on the car. gtojoe, you are the man for being patient with me. i'm so sorry for the delay. wish all well...later.

car

Anyone interested in Jim's car that needs to reach him can through me. I have all of his contact information. He is legit. He currently has about 3 interested partys. I spoke to him this morning and he is awaiting the title to be re issued. When it is available you guys can have at it. I hope that is very soon :biggrin:

To all that was interested

I finally got an answer from him today. I have been busy with my own sales and lost some pm's from those inquiring on this car. Contact him and follow up on this if you will. Please let me know if you make a purchase of this car. Here is his statement:

The Joker
My Ride: 1987 Buick Grand National

good news man!! finally got it. title in hand.

ok guys, heres the deal. i'm really debating now on keeping the car. i'm back and forth. i am willing to sell the motor and tranny and torque converter. or i am willing to sell the car outright. nothing wrong with the motor or tranny. i'm just wanting to put something else in the car. i'm asking $4k for the complete motor. thats turbo, piping, front mount intercooler, ecu, etc. the tranny and tq converter will be $2500. ask wes about this tranny and the guy that test drove this car and picked my car apart in this thread :rolleyes: and they will tell you this tranny is badass. the converter is a 3200 non-lock up 9' pro tq converter. one of the best. the tranny has billet forward drum and is built for around 700hp. no ****. gtojoe, if he's still interested, will have first dibs on the car with motor and tranny still in it. we're finally slowing down with our work here and i have time to do something. family and work comes before car so again i apologize BIG time to the guys who want this car and i have been MIA. let me know something. i can be reached quicker on snapoffracing.com by PM. i'm The Joker on there as well. btw, i do HAVE THE TITLE IN HAND NOW.