86 vs 87 (rookie help)

jamastaj33

So Im totally a newbie when it comes GN but I'm looking to buy a Grand National and just wanted to know the differences between 1986 and a 1987 GN.

All info would be great.

thx,

Josh

Basically, the inner door pullstrap are black instead of grey, and the grille has 3 tiny little chrome strips in it. If you're looking for an intercooled buick, it doesn't matter if you get either of those 2 years. The differences are negligible.

and the engineers in 87 must have been drunk when they designed the power steering resevoir.....what happened to rightytighty leftyloosy.

(something is telling me that i may have screwed this one up)

and the engineers in 87 must have been drunk when they designed the power steering resevoir.....what happened to rightytighty leftyloosy.

(something is telling me that i may have screwed this one up)

I'm not sure either... and I'm not walking out in the cold to the garage in my pajamas to try and prove you wrong. (Or right) lol :D

well if it is backwards on an 86, it was done prevent unauthorized tampering of the precious synthetic 86 only power steering fluid!

an 87 in the same condition is worth more than an 86.
86 is much more rare.
86 came with aluminum bumper supports from the factory.
an 86 will never get as much respect as an 87 on the street because most non-buick educated people think the 87 is "the year to get":confused:

I own both, but personally prefer the 86 GNs.

an 87 in the same condition is worth more than an 86.
86 is much more rare.
86 came with aluminum bumper supports from the factory.
an 86 will never get as much respect as an 87 on the street because most non-buick educated people think the 87 is "the year to get":confused:

I own both, but personally prefer the 86 GNs.

I think either of the two years are an equal "score" when buying... the big thing is avoiding the '85-older hotair cars. THOSE cars get no respect. :D

Thanks for all the info guys... Now does anybody have a clean 86 OR 87 that they want to sell me near Los Angeles