86 Grand National Heater Core

Big Kahuna

The heater core on my 86 Grand National with AC was leaking and I found the tread on another forum that had a link on how to change.

I forget where I ordered my first heater core (one of he places specific to Grand Nationals) but I saw that the 86 and 87 were different. Two days after I placed the order I was told that I was refunded as they could no longer get it.

So I order at GM Parts East the 86 with part number 52479872, and was told it was superseded by 19131980. So it comes in and while it slides in the box, the one coming out has the tubes at the top and this one sent has the tubes facing down.

I haven't had a chance to give it a close look, but thought I'd first ask if anyone knows if I can use it with new longer hoses, or will the cover not fit?

I can't be the only one needing to replace a heater core on a 86 and get this core when one like the one coming out doesn't appear to be made.

I picked up a new brass very original looking style heater core for my 87 turbo t at my local NAPA store, less than $40 out the door back in 2010. Don't know if the 86 would be different, I would assume they are all the same for 86-87.

Fit in the car and the tubes lined up just like the original GM part.

Just be careful and take your time pulling the cover so you don't break it. There are a few hidden screws that are shown in the online guides for changing the heater core.

Attachments

• HPIM1700A.JPG
    HPIM1700A.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 129
  • HPIM1707A.JPG
    HPIM1707A.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 143
I picked up a new brass very original looking style heater core for my 87 turbo t at my local NAPA store, less than $40 out the door back in 2010.

Fit in the car and the tubes lined up just like the original GM part.

Just be careful and take your time pulling the cover so you don't break it. There are a few hidden screws that are shown in the online guides for changing the heater core.
This.

My core was leaking and I bought a NAPA replacement that was not specified for a Turbo car. I believe they had a different part number for Turbo, but was either no longer available or expensive. The NA part fit with no issues, and is still in the car 10 years and 75k miles later.