86/87 engine questions

straycat990

Hey guys, need your input on a few things. I have the chance to purchase a reman long block that has all the right casting numbers (109 block, 8445 heads, and 229 crank) for under a grand. My question is about the crank the reman co. doesn't know if the crank is a turbo crank, all they will say is that it is 10/10. Will a non-turbo crank hold up in a motor that will be capable of a mid 11 pass. Also I just picked up an EGT gauge ... where is the best place to locate the sensor ..before or after the turbo?

David Morgan

Hi David,
IMHO I wouldn't buy the non-turbo crank. It should have the rolled fillet on it. If not, then pass on it. The 10-10 I wouldn't worry about as much as being the turbo crank.
I have an old non turbo crank from a used turbo engine I purchased. Actually it is in two pieces. It broke on a journal.
Just my 2 cents.

Advance Auto list a remanf turbo crank with bearings for approx $225. The trouble is they don't have any and don't know when they will..... Great price but no stock..

Gary

I asked the question about the crank just last week. The general consensus was that if you do NOT detonate the motor the crank will live. There were numerous people running a normally aspirated crank in the 11s but non of them had any detonation in the motor. There was one peron who did detonate the motor and he spun a bearing.

Originally posted by turboman38
There was one peron who did detonate the motor and he spun a bearing.

I don't know how a N/A crank would be any more suseptable for a spun bearing than a Turbo crank. The rolled fillet increases the resistance to cracking (and breaking), but otherwise the strength would be similar.

There's a good chance it is a "Turbo" crank, as the replacement 3.8 I bought for my 81 GP had a "turbo" crank in it, much to my surprise, and the 8445 heads. Many 3.8s came with the Turbo crank. I would wonder about the Pistons as it's probable that the motor was bored, probably 30 over.
Even still, a reman. long block for a grand isn't bad, even if you change the crank.