85 WH1-gonna keep the car

daddyed73

OK i decided to keep the car! My wife has led me to believe that if I sell it I will be kicking myself in the but for the rest of my life just like I do when anyone brings up that sweet 72 chevy p/u that I sold ten years ago(kick). So now I need some help from you guys that know your stuff. I did not remove the motor myself and therefore I really don't know where alot of the stuff mounts. I think I'm going to stay fairly stock and I just had all this stuff powdercoated so I think I'm going to keep the stock intake??? anyway should I convert the ecm and coil pack and whatnot to the 86/87 set up now, and what will I need? also does anyone have pictures or diagrams of how the accesories lay out on the motor. I would like to do as much as possible myself and then if I can't figure it out I will take it to someone to finish off to try and save a little money. thanks for all the help, and the encouragements not to sell the car..

Your staying hotair correct?

If so, everything is pretty simple, and if you have any specific questions I will try my best to help.

The only thing you need (or at least I needed) was an 87 ECM, chip, and 87 MAF. These parts just plugged in and worked well. I have some left over 85 hotair sensors such as TPS and IAC if you need one.

You will definatley need a direct scan or scan master in order to tune the car and make sure your sensors are good, and working properly.

Hope this helps
Matt Wenning

Daddyed74- You should count yourself lucky to such a smart wife. My wife wants me to sell my 85 GN in great condition. I will gladly help you with information from the 85 shop manuels and knowledge that I have. I am no rocket scientist but I would get the car running right before I would change anything. Just my opinion. Brad

fuel filter

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting the car back together. Yes (for now at least) I'm going to leave it hot air. I dont want to try to get to crazy with mods while I'm putting it back togethr but I was thinking about some new injecters and a chip, so I figured if I was going to be doing that wouldn't it be a good ideal to change out the computer and stuff so I have more options? I really dont know so I'll take any suggestions. I know I'm gonna need a new fuel pump with a hot wire kit and a adjustable fuel pressure reg, but I'm not quite sure what else. Has anyone relocated the fuel filter from the front of the engine? That sure seems to be a stupid place to put it, I was going to have a new piece of tubing made to replace those two pieces and the filter and relocate it somewhre else. :confused: