'85 to '86-'87 style conversion?

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly is involved in converting an '85 over to an '86-'87 style setup? Thanks for any and all info.

Geoff

Every nut, bolt, bracket from the heads up are different. You will need the passenger side header, accessory brackets, alternator, powersteering pump, AC or AC delete kit, belt, hoses, pullies, main wiring harness+ injector harness, downpipe, turbo bracket, oil return, oil feed, coilpack bracket, TB, intake, throttle cable, MAF pipe, and a whole lot more I'm forgetting. In other words, it's much easier to find a complete motor. My dad did the conversion piece by piece and he laid out an engine break down for both years and started ordering parts and getting them where ever he could. It took about a year to get them all. I really don't see the need with the TM kits available. I should start buying all the the intakes from the converted cars. I need some to experiment with.

Buying an 87 would be the easier rout. And if you don't want to sell the 85........ well then TM kit it!

Buy a complete '87 motor...

If you elect to go that route. Then you will have fun converting the brake system. Oooop's did I let the cat out of the bag?

Nobody... and I will state it openly... nobody has written anything on how to make this swap work. You will be pulling your hair out, screaming, and yelling as you attempt to make this conversion work. Every conversion I have seen so far they had either bought the car that way, or paid someone else to make it happen.

I wanted the stock '84 GN brake system. It would have been far easier to convert to vacuum brakes instead.

You would be better off using the Turbo Motion setup for ease of installation and completeness of parts. The alternative of finding all the parts individually is a waste of time and money. It goes beyond just buying the '87 intake.

Unless you get an 86-7 donor car cheap than the TM is the way to go. The car would have to be pretty complete to either wrecked and everything under the hood is good, or a junker and you switched everything from the heads up.

I agree with the above. The brakes aren't that hard. I should have my dad write up the procedure. He got a reservior from a FWD Buick or a FWD Cadillac, can't remember. Bought some hose and a tee, and that was about it. I don't remember exactly how it is plumbed but it cost under $40. The reservior was also the baffled one that some of the IC cars upgraded to.

If you want to go fast in a hotair, buy the TM kit.

If you absolutely have to convert, buy a whole motor.

Walk away from anyone who says it's just a matter of moving the turbo and installing the intake.

Louie, how are the brakes coming along? Hell, how is the whole project coming along? Is it running yet?

Here's a list of what I have collected so far for my '87 style conversion project, and it is currently over $1400 with no intercooler and no turbo upgrade. Additional parts that I will need besides the two just mentioned will be an upgrade fuel pump, fuel regulator, 87 ecm, dual electric fans, and a few other things probably. Some parts are new and upgrade parts which added cost to the project. I plan to use as many '85 sensors as possible as well as the '85 wiring harnesses. We'll see. I may put this thing together with no intercooler at first by using a 'U' pipe from the turbo to the TB. All or most of the prices of the individual components included shipping. Needless to say, this is pretty involved.

'87 TR parts collected to date:

intake manifold $165
intake plenum $25
passenger side header $60
alum. accessory brkt. $75
pulleys $70
belt tensioner & pulley with stud $80
throttle cable bracket $20
coil pak bracket $30
coil pak plate $15
turbo mounting bracket $50
pwr str pump and reservoir $70
ac cmpr brkt (L shaped) $28
alt brkt (rear-tree branch shaped) $40
alt brkt (front-inverted Y) $23
oil lines supply and return $25
hard vacuum lines $20
hard coolant lines $20
stock throttle body (for arm) $20
a/c hose assy (new) $63
3" down pipe (new) $170
power steering hose pressure (new) $25
accufab 65mm TB $220
billet vacuum pod $45
heater core (new) $18
heater core hoses (2) $9
billet thermostat housing $23

The project is doing fine...

I drove the car for a little over a week. Have most of the gremlins killed. Now winter is quickly on the horizon and I have no time to play with it. Work is a priority right now, and projects around the house have taken up all of my free time. Kitchen is getting redone, the house has to be painted, and school is about to take over my limited free time.

I have some projects planned for the car over the winter months; roll cage, fiberglass hood, and a camswap is going to happen in the next couple weeks with some buddies doing most of the work (I supply the beer).

I would like to see your dad's effort. See how it matches up to what I accomplished. I used the stock '87 reservoir. It works... but I'm sure a different reservoir would make it easier. Maybe you can draw me a simple diagram? My brake peddle seems very hard in pressure. It stops the car. Perhaps I have something routed incorrectly?

The car runs like a raped ape which had gasoline poured on it. I have put the foot to it a couple times and the look on the faces of those who watched in amazement was more than enough to make me happy. The ricer I had pounded on pulled up to me at the next stop light... "Wow! I like that car!" 2001 was a good year... just wait till 2002.

Glad to see it's runing. Next time I'm at my parents' I'll look at how everything is done. My dad doesn't seem too interested in giving away info but the car's been driven for a year so I know the brakes work.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm still just considering my options, as far as the '85 is concerned. I'd like to see low 13's/high 12's. Not very high goals, but we all know how that goes. :)
With that in mind, I'm still considering the V-1 or V-3 route. It really comes down to economics. My '85 still needs a turbo. If I can get an '86-'87 motor for a reasonable price, then I'll go that route.

BTW, my '85 has a powermaster brake system, so I can convert that to a vacuum setup like my '87. Or am I missing something?

Aloha!

Geoff

I guess the brakes are one less thing to worry about with the powerdisaster.

IMO it would be a complete waste to do a conversion if you only want low 13s/ high 12s. You wouldn't even have to have the TM setup. Your turbo is out so get a TA49 and used Spearco IC and you will be guaranteed 12s as long as it's halfway tuned.

My friend had a TA62 and down pipe and that's it. He had to pull the GN1s, headers, intake, and all the other good stuff for emissions. We took it to the track for the heck of it with just the turbo and downpipe and it was pulling 104mph traps at 19psi which will touch the 12s. This was on an 18 degree street chip.

Re: Buy a complete '87 motor...

Originally posted by IRaceAV6
Every conversion I have seen so far they had either bought the car that way, or paid someone else to make it happen.

hey louie,what about dan smith?:)

good to hear you're car's running.too bad the weather's gonna go crappy on us soon...:(

later,sean

I think I have spent about 1000 dollars on the conversion but it seems to work very well the car is 4 tenths faster with only 9 pounds of boost .before I use to run 17 pounds. I was shocked .as soon as I can get time out of work we will turn the boost up and try agian.and also we ran the turbo oil drain to the pan and that seems to work very well at the moment. looking to go mid 13,s next time out .and also I have vacum brakes and not much holding boost only 2 pounds if were lucky working on that now.

There is always an exception to the rule... if you look hard enough to find it

Hey Louie,what about Dan Smith? <--- Typos corrected

I stand by my statement... it seems this swap is a hidden unknown out there. Nobody offers details on it... you have to pull teeth to get information on how to do it. You would think the guru's on www.gnttype.org would have written something by now.

Another example of anti-"Hot-Air" bias :)

If I could help with any questions fell free to ask or email me also if I had to do it over I would use the turbomotion kit .I think my car turned out very well I think.

I think we need to make a distinction between a "conversion" in which one still utilizes the '84-'85 long block, and a "swap" to a complete '86-'87 engine, like Louie has done. I'm interested in what needs to be done in both scenarios.

Then again, I may just go the Turbomotion route...........:)

Aloha!

Geoff

heck im working on pullin the hotair motor tonight going 87 style but i got to pick the car apart and get every thing that i could possibly need so i have evey thing i need but it wont a real cheap deal but i bet i'll have less total money in the car than most 86-87 guys have in theirs...now i need a ford i/c i dont even want to put in the stock one id rather go all the way at one time so when its done its done and i can take a rest and cruize..car should run REAL GOOD.:)

then im going into the swapping the hotair motor into my 86 olds 442 im sure that will be fun..im suppose to get the fuel tank out of the car i got my i/c motor out of so that will solve one of the bigger problems with that swap since the olds are carbed no intank pumps..:(