85 S-10 Rear Cyl Question

54Rich

I've read that the 1985 S-10 rear wheel cylinders with manual brakes are a direct upgrade for our cars. However, looking at the NAPA site I get conflicting information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey
The cylinders I got from Advance are part# W37644

Quick question: The 37644, list a line thread of 3/8 X 24 and the 87 GN list the line thread as M10 X 1.25 Are they close enough to work?

I copied this from another post, because of no answer. Anyone comment? I have to get into the brakes because I want to change the fluid and the rear bleeders are snaped off.

Thanks,

Rich

The rain/wet road and a panic stop the rear will come around with the wheel cyl swap so be careful. I would not do it in a DD

I have them in my T-type, the piston bore is bigger which in theory hold better on launches. I also use four secondary shoes as well. They will work fine as long as your brakes are adjusted properly. Phil

There is only one thread size on that particular type of cylinder. Besides M10 is freaking huge for a line. Sounds like a typo if you ask me.

Okay guys. If I hear another "the rear brakes lock up" comment my brain is going to lock up in a non stop rant. Consider this. The S-10 and the G-body share the same brake components. The only difference is the size of the cylinder and the MC on the manual brake truck. Sure they will lock in a panic stop. Learn how to drive and you wont have problems. I sure as heck dont.:mad:

Lock up brakes..

Agreed the only way they will lock up is if U have the shoes adjusted really tight, like I have mine right now. My brakes work great and I didnt even do the Two bigger shoe mod like posted. Go ahead and do it. The cars weigh 3500 pounds and need all the help they can get stopping.

I'd say the two "long" brake shoes would be more dangerous than the upgraded cylinder. You'll only lock them up during a panic stop if you don't know how to handle non-ABS brakes (or, like already mentioned, if you have them adjusted stupidly tight).

Anyways I was curious about the thread pitch being labelled differently too so I'm glad it was brought up again.