85 block in an 87

MonstrNrgy

Purchased a freshly rebuilt 25520329 block with 0 miles on it. What do I need to make it work in my 87 besides an oil return line for the turbo. Is this block worth using? Thanks in advance.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes, it is worth using! :)

Before you install the engine you can drill and tap the block for a drain back line like a 1987, or return the turbo oil to the pan or timing cover.

We usually do it like the 1986-7 block.

Anything else significantly different between the two blocks?

I paid 400 for the long block with a front cover and an oil pan, with a fresh set of heads and a fresh rebuild

Hate to tell ya, my block is an 85 and is 14bolt pan

Clint

Hate to tell you that you have an early 85 block. I have 20 bolt pan with my 140 block as well as my original 329. brad

OK kids, you have established that 1985 turbo cars used both 14 and 20 bolt pans, it makes NO difference to what the OP is going to do! :D

The deck height is slightly taller on the 85 block and the head bolt threads come all the way to the deck. 86-87 head bolt threads are countersunk deep into the block, which makes for a better head gasket seal (less deck distortion).

The deck height is slightly taller on the 85 block and the head bolt threads come all the way to the deck. 86-87 head bolt threads are countersunk deep into the block, which makes for a better head gasket seal (less deck distortion).
Thanks I appreciate it