84 to 87 conversion

Mr.Buick

I am in the process of converting my 84 with a 87 engine and transmission but am wondering what to do with the hydroboost brakes. Has anyone used the 87 power steering pump to power our 84 brake system? What changes do I need to make or will I need to go to the 87 brake system?

I would convert to hydrolic(sp) and bypass the powermaster setup in your case. Somebody sells alot of these conversions in the parts for sale section. The powermasters tend to fail and they cost $450 for a reman. unit. My 2 cents. Brad

yes

But I am not the first as some people on here answered the same ? for me.
Keep your hyd. boost unit and use the 87 pump and tank. The only thing you need to do is put a TEE in the return line to pick up the return off the hyd. boost.

Lee Thompson said:
But I am not the first as some people on here answered the same ? for me.
Keep your hyd. boost unit and use the 87 pump and tank. The only thing you need to do is put a TEE in the return line to pick up the return off the hyd. boost.

Eactly. Very simple.

I know this is an old post but trying to figure out if lee is saying the 86/87 pump (in this case) will supply both brakes & the power steering?

yes

Use the 87 pump and tank--use all the 85 lines as came from factory (from hyd. to power steering) you will have to make the connections from 87 pump to 85 line to hyd. your self. This is high pressure. The line from power steering to tank (low pressure) will need a TEE in it to pick up the return line off hyd. boost brakes. The suction line from tank to 87 pump will need to be an 87 line or do as I did and go to Autozone and get power steering hose in bulk. It is not brain surgery--just need to look it over and it will become clear. Best of luck.

Yes, it will

I know this is an old post but trying to figure out if lee is saying the 86/87 pump (in this case) will supply both brakes & the power steering?

Mine works great just as it did when it was 85 hyd. boost from factory. This was the biggest worry I had when deciding to switch. As it turns out it was one of the easiest.

The 87 pump will supply both the hyd. boost and the power steering.

If you have all the 85 and 87 lines here is all that is needed to do. Install 87 pump with the many 90 degree turns in the discharge line (high pressure)--install all the 85 lines. You will need to fab a connection between the 87 discharge and the 85 line going up to the hyd. boost. The 85 hyd. boost comes back down to the power steering with a factory line. Off the power steering comes the low pressure or return line to 87 tank--you will need to put a tee in that line to pick up return off hyd. boost and fab a connection to connect to 87 tank. Hope this helps.

The fuel filter can be mounted on the end of the feed line at the A frame
Then make up a SS braded line that can connect to the regular 87 hard line to the fuel line or run the braded line to the fuel rail.
Pictures if you need them

Hydroboost202.jpg

Also if you upgrade your brakes, i got LS1's front and rear. there is a mod you need to do to the proprtioning valve. got that info from Baer.

Conversion complete

I finished the 1987 intercooled conversion into my 1984 regal. This has been a three step process, first I modified the 84 engine and installed a Spearco intercooler. Second I converted the intake manifold to 1987 and went to a larger front mount intercooler. The last stage was to swap a complete 1987 engine and transmission. I have pictures on Webshots.com under member Mrbuick101 if you care to take a look. I put in a leather interior, and Pontiac TA wheels, 87 brake system, TA-49 Turbo, 65 lb. injectors, MSD ignition, 70mm throttle body and plenium, 3" down pipe, Hooker exhaust, HP rear end kit and swaybar, SMC alcohol injection and so many other things I can't remember right now.