84 to 86/87 ECM

DannyJov

Do Not Buy From Me
I want to convert my 84 system to the 86/87 ECM unit. I used the search and alot of results came up but it's still confusing to me for some reason. Basically I just want someone to explain to me what I need to upgrade to the 86/87 ECM. So far I understood that I need to get a translator, 86/87 ECM, LS1 or LT1 MAF, and a chip that will bypass my intake air temp sensor. Why are all of these necessary to make this conversion? What is the difference between the LT1 or LS1 MAF, and why is that chip essential to bypass the the intake air temp? I am getting a scan master sometime in the near future for tuning help but before I get that scanmaster I was told I need to convert to the 86/87 ECM so that is basically the general direction of where I am heading with this...

All and any help or explanation is appreciated!
Thanks, Danny

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well lets take it 1 step at a time.
To put in an 87 computer you need find an applicable computer at the salvage yard. #1227148
Next you need a chip for an 86/87 computer, no your chip from your car will not work. Eric from turbo tweak has been so helpful to me for this endeavor.

Get an 86/87 MAF- it plugs right in. Or The translator and LS type MAF work as well.

The MAT can be put in Or Eric can remove it from the chip, if not you will have a SES light, The Caspers MAT conversion kit has everthing you need and instructions.

The Calpak chip is moved from your old ECM to the 86/87 ECM.

Some of this info copied from a post by Brad Padgett

Buy a sensor...(LT1 is a 3" diameter sensor, and the LS1 is a 3-1/2" diameter sensor)..and then buy the translator. Fullthrottle, among other vendors here sell both. you can also check the for sale section, or post in the parts wanted section.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1384948622.596140.jpg
This is a ls1 maf.

I think 94-97 was the LT1 and LS1 98-?
Please don't quote me on that but I do believe it to be near correct

Well lets take it 1 step at a time.
To put in an 87 computer you need find an applicable computer at the salvage yard. #1227148
Next you need a chip for an 86/87 computer, no your chip from your car will not work. Eric from turbo tweak has been so helpful to me for this endeavor.

Get an 86/87 MAF- it plugs right in. Or The translator and LS type MAF work as well.

The MAT can be put in Or Eric can remove it from the chip, if not you will have a SES light, The Caspers MAT conversion kit has everthing you need and instructions.

The Calpak chip is moved from your old ECM to the 86/87 ECM.

Some of this info copied from a post by Brad Padgett
Awesome thanks a ton that cleared up alot for me I appreciate it

i'm running a junkyard 87 ECM out of an Old 98 or something like that... stock 84 Calpak chip... Turbotweak chip... stock 84 MAF- everyone says that it won't work, but yet it does..

i'm running a junkyard 87 ECM out of an Old 98 or something like that... stock 84 Calpak chip... Turbotweak chip... stock 84 MAF- everyone says that it won't work, but yet it does..
Really? I was told by many it would work aswell...hmmm

Maybe it works, but because all MAFs have different tables and readings you will not get the full potential of the "upgrade" in computers in using the 84/85 MAF as compared to the others.

I am new expert and very new to these cars but seems logical.

Maybe it works, but because all MAFs have different tables and readings you will not get the full potential of the "upgrade" in computers in using the 84/85 MAF as compared to the others.

I am new expert and very new to these cars but seems logical.

i recall that people said that the 84 MAF would cause it to run way rich with the 86/87 ecm, but my car runs awesome and gets much better mileage than it did with the 84 ecm.
could just be one of those things where every car is different.

guys I know im way late but I just did my ecm swap and im having problems. im still using my 85 wiring harness. do I need the 87 engine harness or is the original fine. im having stalling, popping and choking symptoms when the car warms up. I would appreciate any and all help with this.

Hell no. The 84/85 wiring harness is fine. Really no different from the 86/87 except for a few minor tweaks. Keep your money in your wallet and do a little more research. Brad