84 T-type

85_SS

G-body enthusiast
I am planning to have a look at an '84 T-type tomorrow and was looking for some tips on what to look for and perhaps some info you could throw at me on hot air cars. I don't know much about TR's, but I do know the hot air cars need a little more work to get performance out of them.

The bad:
-its an 84 (ie non-intercooled)
-he believes it to be 229K km's (143K miles), there is a good chance its 129 though if it truely wasn't winter driven...
-needs starter
-needs EGR valve
-valve cover(s) leak onto manifold(s)
-rough idle when fast idle kicks down
-roof needs major repair around factory moon roof and on top of door windows
-black trim needs repaint

The good:
-body is excellent with exception of roof
-floors and frame solid/undercoated
-not winter driven (as mentioned)
-A/C in place (was converted but needs charge)
-roof doesn't leak in its current state
-interior good, mentioned a small rip on steering wheel

Other:
-3" exhaust with only resonators, needs to be raised up considerably however
-aftermarket aluminum wheels, in need of polishing
-8.5" rear still in place, unsure if the 200-4R is still the BQ code

I have always liked TR's and would love to have one, but at this time I don't need or really want this car right now - but he is only asking $1500 CDN, which is why its so tempting. Let me know what you think!

sounds like it could be a $$$ pit very easy . does it drive ??? :confused: posi rear ??

Grumpy said:
sounds like it could be a $$$ pit very easy . does it drive ??? :confused: posi rear ??

Yes it drives, and yes it could be a money pit. I am unsure if its a posi rear - will have to check the trunk codes when I get to look at it.

The main deciding factor is the rear and trans, because if worse comes to worse I have a BQ trans and 8.5" for my Monte and I can part the rest (or swap in the trans/rear from my Monte and resell it for basically the same money)...

as far as I know...don't quote me here, but none of the 84's and some of the 85's had the BQ tranny...they had the BR tranny (at least mine had the BR). They're smilar, but NOT the same.

Thanks for the help guys, but I have decided to pass. I am not sure what the code was on the trans, I was under the assumption the earlier ones were BQ's, but you are right I am sure.

I popped in to have a closer look after work. Interior is "ok". Faded a bit, tear on edge of drivers seat and in leather wheel. Carpet/floormats are trashed because the bozo before him oil sprayed (not undercoated) the topside of the floorboards (beacause of the leaky roof I would assume). It wouldn't start now, as the starter is completely dead so I didn't get to hear it run - although he says it does run decent and he sounds pretty honest as he has flat out told about a lot of bad points too. Tires are shot, and worst of all its not a posi - that took the wind out of my sails (again). I would rather get a 7.5" posi than an 8.5" non posi for what I need. And the trans would be a bonus as I already have a CZF for the Monte, and the earlier BQ's aren't as good as the later ones so theres another downside.

He says if someone showed up with $1200 cash he would take it, but to be honest I think $1K would take it if I brought cash. For kicks I stopped at a few body shops and asked how much to swap a roof skin... price was $1000-1500 just for labour, plus another $2-300 I would guess for a good roof from the wreckers and you are looking at most likely close to $2K I would say from a decent shop. All that being said, it is savable and I would consider it if I didn't have the Monte, and restore it as it wouldn't take all that much money overall... but for what I wanted out of it, it's not worth it for me - but someone should get a good buy out of it. It's just too bad someone didn't fix that leak until it went as far as it did. Still worth the money to part out, but it's a headache I don't need.

I may go and buy me a snowblower now (for the same money!)