84 t ttpye looking to lower her all around by 1" or so....

dbranco

Whats the best and cheapest way out of it. I just bought the car and I have found some GNX type wheels and would like to get rid of the space between fender and wheels....

Best and cheapest don't go together when you're talking about suspension parts. The cheapest way is to heat the springs up with a torch but that will cause other issues. The best way would be to buy coil overs that you can adjust.

Pick up a set of Eibach lowering springs from GBodyParts. You may want to upgrade the shocks, too.

I just looked at the spring kits, pretty damn cheap. Do you know how much it will lower the car? And how low can I go without any issues?
I am thinking 1" but there are 2" drop spindles, I would think that would be too low?

There is also the DSE 2" drop coil springs & replacement gas shocks from us, and receive Holiday "Free Shipping"... I personally have this set up on my personal car and I have absolutely no complaints!

Keep in mind if your car still has the stock springs in it that your stock 25 yr old springs have now sagged pretty bad and that buying a 1" drop spring may not give you a true 1" drop that your wanting/expecting! I done the DSE 2" drop springs in my car and the drop was not a true 2".... All the details of my suspension can be seen here ---->http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/complete-dse-suspension-build.329141/

Scot,

Do your replacement shocks work specifically with the 2" drop springs , meaning have the length of the shocks been modded for the shorter travel?

I put Moogs 5660 in front & 5413 in rear for a solid 1" drop- I paid $100. For all four springs new. I have another set of 5660s I may use on my other car.

Scot,

Do your replacement shocks work specifically with the 2" drop springs , meaning have the length of the shocks been modded for the shorter travel?
Absolutely! Plus they are "Valved" specifically for the springs rate, Timing of the jounce bumpers. Together they work fantastic!

Very good point on the shock travel! If you lower you car 1"-2" and then put on regular (off the shelf) billstein shocks or something, you just shortened your shock travel the same as what the car was lowered.

scot w. said:
Absolutely! Plus they are "Valved" specifically for the springs rate, Timing of the jounce bumpers. Together they work fantastic!

Very good point on the shock travel! If you lower you car 1"-2" and then put on regular (off the shelf) billstein shocks or something, you just shortened your shock travel the same as what the car was lowered.

Can't wait to get mine installed!

Definitely will be looking for a set of those shocks, still trying to figure out the springs, DSE are 45% more expensive than Eibach/Summit so still unsure on those. Thanks for the response Scot

Pics of the car and motor....

Attachments

• GN1.jpg
    GN1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • GN2.jpg
    GN2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • GN6.jpg
    GN6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • GN5.jpg
    GN5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
I put Moogs 5660s in front and 5413s in rear of my 84 gn- looks good and sits right- paid $100. For the four springs and then I put four brand new bell tech Nitto drop shocks - great combo and not too expensive.

someone should post up the actual measurement to the fender lip with the frame a certain distance off the ground.. this would allow people to know about how much their car would drop with a set of "drop" springs and take tire diameter out of the equation..

I agree, do you have pics with the car lowered? and did that lower your car 1 or 2"
After looking around I think I might go with the 2" drop and go with the firebird wheels that I bought with the polished lip.
I just dont want to go too low and then have to pull springs back off.
GNS has a pretty good price on 2" drop all around for 400.00...
But I am real interested in the moog parts much cheaper and are they the same spring rate?

Dropped spindles will cause more issues than doing it with a 1" drop spring and tall lower ball joints. You can get 1" taller ball joints and a 1" drop spring which will give you a 2" drop in the front and then go with a 1" drop in the back which will give you a bit of a rake and help the handling some.;)

One thing to keep in mind when lowering Any vehicle is "Shock Travel". If you just put on a set of regular gas replacement shocks you will now loose that same amount in shock travel that you lowered your car by. Ridetech likes to maintain a 5" shock travel... This is the reason I recommend the DSE kit as a good entry level lowering kit because it takes ALL of the guess work out of the whole situation and the shocks are designed and valved properly to work with the springs rate. That is also one of the reasons why DSE & Ridetech designed their rear re-location shock mounts & lower front a-arms to give the shocks proper shock travel.

Dropped spindles will cause more issues than doing it with a 1" drop spring and tall lower ball joints. You can get 1" taller ball joints and a 1" drop spring which will give you a 2" drop in the front and then go with a 1" drop in the back which will give you a bit of a rake and help the handling some.;)
Charlie wha kind of issues do these cause? On a driver not auto cross car?