84 Regal T-Type help

matt921

Hello everyone. I recently just picked up my first T-type. It's kind of a odd situation, but I rebuilt the bottom end before I bought it from my boss. But anyway back to my post. I recently got it up and running and back to my house. It runs good not as strong as I think it should be but that's why I'm posting.

Here's what's going on. The car seems to idle decent little hiccup every so often. It seems to take a while to build boost and get up and go. I have no codes present and the snap on scan tool I have is giving all the readings on the IAC TPS Coolant block intergrade so on. Everything seems to been working and sending its information back to me. Tps is set at .43, iac is 114 area, A/f learned. I have hot tanked and cleaned the injectors they all sound healthy and clicking clearly. But when I blip the throttle it has this little hesitation then goes. I have checked the wastegate line for the brass restrictor and it is in there also all the vac lines I have ran correctly like in the diagram on the fan shroud. I have read on the forum that the stock 84 ecm is kinda lame and I can upgrade to 86 87 computer with a addition of a AIT. Also is there a chip for a 84 ecm

I have a slight exhaust leak on the cross over but its nothing major just a little puff puff. But if you guys can help me out with some ideas or even some things I can do to help my new toy out. PLease let me know.

If the car is completely stock start with the ecm,turbotweak chip,ls1 maf and translator and a scan tool like scanmaster find out how it's really running and fine tune it before you go faster after that you might want to get bigger injectors, adjustable fpr along with a better fuel pump and a hotwire kit there are many ways you can go it's up to you.

If the car is completely stock start with the ecm,turbotweak chip,ls1 maf and translator and a scan tool like scanmaster find out how it's really running and fine tune it before you go faster after that you might want to get bigger injectors, adjustable fpr along with a better fuel pump and a hotwire kit there are many ways you can go it's up to you.

Yeah the car is pretty much stock. Only thing I have done is port match the intake manifold to the heads. I looked up scanmaster but it said it was for 86 87. Will it work on 84 85? The pump is brand new its just a oe replacement. I will look into the ls1 maf/ translator and a turbotweak chip. Should I upgrade to a 86 87 ecu?

Yeah the car is pretty much stock. Only thing I have done is port match the intake manifold to the heads. I looked up scanmaster but it said it was for 86 87. Will it work on 84 85? The pump is brand new its just a oe replacement. I will look into the ls1 maf/ translator and a turbotweak chip. Should I upgrade to a 86 87 ecu?
Definitely do the ecu swap that's how you can use the scanmaster there are certain cars that used that 86-87 ecu $30 at the yard there's a forum called junkyard dogs on here read up on it or you can just find one and have Eric at turbo tweak cut the chip for YOUR car

First make sure you get rid of all the exhaust leaks as that may be your spooling problem, even a clogged cat will keep you from spooling. You can get a 86-87 ecm from a junk yard and there is someone selling a turbo tweek chip for stock setup in the parts for sale section.

So me and my boss have kind of come to a conclusion that it might be a clogged cat. So tomorrow I am going to pull it and check it out. Also I thought I had a a 87 ecm hidden away at my shop I work at but I was a number off I was upset, but I'll find one.

the cat is easy to fix: just unbolt the exhaust from the back of it and pound a chunk of rebar that is as long as the cat into it repeatedly until chunks of stuff stop falling out... then hook the exhaust back up and see if that made any difference..

So today I pulled the cat. it was clean could see light through it. so I just ran a test pipe in for now. it did help but I still feel there's more in it. Also with some research I found that my iac are way too high. Saying it should be around 25 and mine are 125ish. sorry if things are weird or no caps using my phone to reply.

Get rid of the cat go with a straight pipe and a dirty smog until you can get a good cat, bigger injectors, adjustable fpr, TT chip these are just some of the basics find out what fuel pump is in it now if it's a walbro hotwire it if not already done

SO after today I got some much needed information. I hooked up a boost gauge and water temp. I am over boosting by a lot for a stock ecm.I am boosting close to 18psi. I have not done anything to the lines or anything to alter boost. I don't think the wastegate is stock as it has a adjustable rod. The restrictor is in the t and the lines are all ran right according to the diagram on the shroud. Also I must have a vacuum leak cause I am only pulling 11 hg vacuum. I am going o search for a leak. cause I cant find any with carb spray. Engine is stock only thing done is port match intake manifold and the crank has ben turned for .010 bearings. nothing special.

At 18 psi that thing should scoot. Check wide open tps volts. You might not be getting full fuel/timing. probably why the boost is adjusted up to try to make more power.

It does get up and go once it is in boost. But it seems like that little b it before the spool of the turbo i am having nothing. Also I did get some info for everyone willing to help.

idle tps .42 wot 4.76 IAC 115
load 40 coolant 87c
intergrador 125-128 block learn 143
airflow in gm/sec 7 prom id7058.

I am going to check out for a vacuum leak today as like i said im only getting 10-13 hg in vacuum at idle. Instead of 20-25hg. Also i dont know if if 7 on my maf means its bad?. PLease if anyone can help me out this would be a great help.

It does get up and go once it is in boost. But it seems like that little b it before the spool of the turbo i am having nothing. Also I did get some info for everyone willing to help.

idle tps .42 wot 4.76 IAC 115
load 40 coolant 87c
intergrador 125-128 block learn 143
airflow in gm/sec 7 prom id7058.

I am going to check out for a vacuum leak today as like i said im only getting 10-13 hg in vacuum at idle. Instead of 20-25hg. Also i dont know if if 7 on my maf means its bad?. PLease if anyone can help me out this would be a great help.
MAF is good. The IAC needs to be adjusted down to 20-40. You likely have a vacuum leak. BLM should be around 128.

I am currently looking for a leak now. I have the turbo off now. I am going to pull the injectors see if maybe i have a bad grommet and go from there. Other then that i have a new intake manifold gasket on there from when i did the bottom end. So no more then 15 miles ago. I will keep everyone up to date on my findings and we will go from there

Th
I am currently looking for a leak now. I have the turbo off now. I am going to pull the injectors see if maybe i have a bad grommet and go from there. Other then that i have a new intake manifold gasket on there from when i did the bottom end. So no more then 15 miles ago. I will keep everyone up to date on my findings and we will go from there

Check for any exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor as well.

Make sure your wastegate functions, when I got my car it was bad and never opened and my car would hit 20psi stock :( you could hear the knock. Everything seems fine though, but I have a different wastegate I'm using now, but still need to adjust my car in everyway lol, I'm concentrating on painting it first though.

Exhaust leaks before the 02 no. Also I think I might swap my wastegate to the other one I have off the engine I pulled out before I bought it from my boss. I went over this thing today with every chance I had. I swapped any vacuum line that I thought looked suspicious. I only gained about 2hg in vac so I'm about 15 at idle and 12 13 in drive. Also I know that my iac count is stupid high. But I realized I read the forum wrong and loosened the idle air screw lol instead of screwing it is to let more air in and close the iac. By doing this will it help my issue with the hesitation when I punch it or open throttle quick

Ok so got some update. I swapped my Wastegate and still boosting 18. so I looked at some vacuum diagrams abs I think I had my lines on the wastegate reverse. but I got my iac count down to 20_30 area. and the idle is allot better and throttle response is better also.

Ok I'm back. I have gone over the car with everything I had. I have come to a conclusion that it's my module. recently over the past few days I have been getting a pop back fire when I start to get into boost. Also when I am at a stop and accelerate light throttle I feel it kinda surging. I replace the fuel filter today it needed it. no change brand new pump in the tank I have not check psi but I will tomorrow. I have searched over the forum for series 2 swap and everyone is so blunt about it I can't find what to do for wiring. do they just plug in?