'84 GN value

Maddox Racing

New to the forum so forgive me if I didn't post in the correct place. I've been looking to purchase my first GN for some time and I've finally come across what I believe to be a good deal but I would like some expert advice. The car is an '84 GN with t-tops. Car has 105k miles. Runs but needs paint, bumpers, and carpet, seat covers, headliner, and door panels. They are asking $3,000.00. I've looked around on autotrader, craigslist, and ebay to try and see what they are selling for but can't find many '84's with t-tops. I know there weren't that many built so I figure thats why I can't find values on them. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2011-02-26_16-46-03_363.jpg
    2011-02-26_16-46-03_363.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 2011-02-26_16-46-41_227.jpg
    2011-02-26_16-46-41_227.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 206
  • 2011-02-26_16-48-07_876.jpg
    2011-02-26_16-48-07_876.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 197
That's not a bad price, but.... the T tops may have rust under them. This is a big issue and requires quite a bit of work to fix. I'd see if they'll let you get it up on a lift and see what it looks like underneith. I'd also go to your user controls and add a location so some one near you may be able to go check the car out with you.

are they charging extra for the "turbo" sticker on the dash?

since it's a t top car, i'd look pretty closely at the floorboards. if they leak, water will eat some nice big holes in the floor. i've also read about the t top cars rusting in weird places like where the A pillar meets the firewall- open the doors and look around the area of the upper hinge. if you see bubbles in the paint or rust, run away from it..

If it was an 86-87 in that condition then yes 3,000 would be worth it but being that it's a hotair and the condition albeit still workable I'd think $2000-$2500 would be more realistic. That interior alone is gonna cost atleast $1,000 and that's just for the replacement seat covers.

Runs but needs paint, bumpers, and carpet, seat covers, headliner, and door panels.
By the time you fix all of those things, you'll have way too much $$ into it.

thats up to you, save up and wait for an intercooled 86, 87...or get a hot air for cheaper but as previously stated interior is gonna destroy your wallet. If it is rust free and runs and drives great its probably worth 3 but be sure your willing to spend the money to enjoy the car.

Also say where your at and let an expert look, this is the place to find an expert.

Its a

Money Pit, that wont have its return value at the other end....

1. Hot air cars are great but make sure you know that there is a difference between them and the 86-87... If you are really new to these cars you may not know.

2. What is your overall goal for this car? Depending on this, this is what makes or breaks your deal. Good Luck