84 engine rebuild

jgines

CaTcH mE iF yOu CaN
Hello All,

Its been a long time since ive posted due to work overload, 60 hr weeks + weekends:frown:

Anyways, I will be getting my 84s engine comepletly overhauled and had some questions. I know it takes alot of $$ to go fast. What im looking to accomplish is to have a great/very reliable daily driver that will kick some ass ;)

1. Does the engine specification sheet on gnttype.org apply to our cars? (Factory Engine Specification)

2. Would any of you veterans of the game be able to provide a complete breakdown list of upgrades items that is a MUST to get installed?

3. Any stock parts that can be replaced with better or stronger parts? ie; valve springs, Heads, etc

Any other misc. advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I really want to thank you all for your help in getting another piece of history on the streets!!

Your request can't be answered in a single post. True hot air guys like me have been through the mill and have achieved results. The only problem is money and alot of time. The first question is what is your goal? My 2 cents. Brad

thanks brad i was hoping someone would post. i didnt want to try to answer this one just yet. i could go on and on.

My goal would be to have a very reliable daily driver with some get up and go. I will not be running it on the track, so it wont be put under alot of stress. But would like to have just a little bite to shock some unknowing victims if they try to pick on me(alot of cobra guys where I live that think they are unstoppable :rolleyes: ). So I guess you could say I want a stocker with some bite.

I hope this clears everything up. If not im really sorry. But if anyone can help me it would be you guys!!

Still need more info. Such as budget and 1/4 mire type car you want. Check the thread Hot Air Swap. Thanks- Brad

ok, 12 sec daily driver.

Budget = 7k. - 4k, the amount the shop is chraging me for the rebuild. which leaves me with 3k.

See the comments on the thread Hot Air Swap Advice. This is one way to get to your goal. Good luck. Brad

oh what the heck...:D I'll start off with some basics, others can add.

1. upgraded fuel pump
2. fuel pump hot wire kit
3. k&n air filter (since its a daily driver, maybe try to keep it in the engine compt, but away from radiator and engine.
4. you want 12's? better at least go for the t33 turbo. its easy bolt on.
5. keep a look out for bigger downpipe. preferably one that eliminates 90 elbow (good luck :rolleyes: ) at least port the 90 elbow.
5. good aftermarket exhaust with straight through mufflers. I am very pleased with bolt on hooker exhaust.
6. If using factory intake, have it correctly ported.
7. might as well have the throttle body ported too while its off to help increase a little airflow.
8. save some headache and convert to 86/7 ECM.
9. f body radiator w/160 t.
10. You can use factory mechanical fan and shroud, but electric fan is going to be a little more efficient
11. bump the stall up on your converter to match turbo (easy while engines out:D )
12. bump lb/hr injectors up a few sizes so you know you won't ever run out of fuel. lots of better technology in new injectors these days that help flow, clogging, idling.
13. alky is a must
14. get fresh custom chip to match the combo

theres more that others can add, i've got to get back to work:p good luck

oh what the heck...:D I'll start off with some basics, others can add.

1. upgraded fuel pump
2. fuel pump hot wire kit
3. k&n air filter (since its a daily driver, maybe try to keep it in the engine compt, but away from radiator and engine.
4. you want 12's? better at least go for the t33 turbo. its easy bolt on.
5. keep a look out for bigger downpipe. preferably one that eliminates 90 elbow (good luck :rolleyes: ) at least port the 90 elbow.
5. good aftermarket exhaust with straight through mufflers. I am very pleased with bolt on hooker exhaust.
6. If using factory intake, have it correctly ported.
7. might as well have the throttle body ported too while its off to help increase a little airflow.
8. save some headache and convert to 86/7 ECM.
9. f body radiator w/160 t.
10. You can use factory mechanical fan and shroud, but electric fan is going to be a little more efficient
11. bump the stall up on your converter to match turbo (easy while engines out:D )
12. bump lb/hr injectors up a few sizes so you know you won't ever run out of fuel. lots of better technology in new injectors these days that help flow, clogging, idling.
13. alky is a must
14. get fresh custom chip to match the combo

theres more that others can add, i've got to get back to work:p good luck

thats a start i will post up tomorrow when im at work.

? # 1

I can't think of anything that is different--bearing clearances--cam--- lifters --heads--all pretty much the same. Best of luck.

zimmermans just did my motor you might give them a call and ask them some questions im sure they will be able to help you out.