84 Cherokee

83ttypecooled

Hi,
I recently purchased an 84 4x4 Cherokee which has a very nicely installed GN motor.The story I got from the seller was that an GM engineer had built it as a personal toy.I am currently trying to determine what this vehicle's fate will be, as it is in very rotten shape, body wise.Anyone interested in this type of vehicle? My initial attraction stems from the fact that I had always admired the GMC Syclone and Typhoon, and Buick motors are a better turbo candidate than any stock 4.3L Chevy V6.Any choice made here would have to take into account the fact that a lot of sweat equity will be required.
What do you think?

Let's see some pictures.
I would think the best way to go would be to find another Cherokee with a good body and swap all the good stuff.

Cherokee

Hi,
Yes, this is the one you saw on Ebay 2 months back.And yes, I have considered finding a creampuff Texas Cherokee, and swapping the guts.I have other fish to fry at present, so there she sits. It ran 1500 miles back to Houston,so I can say the drivetrain is tight. This sucker is quick, too. I have thoughts about just keeping at as is; a pretty good sleeper as it sits.Further feedback will be appreciated.

Hi,
Yes, this is the one you saw on Ebay 2 months back.And yes, I have considered finding a creampuff Texas Cherokee, and swapping the guts.I have other fish to fry at present, so there she sits. It ran 1500 miles back to Houston,so I can say the drivetrain is tight. This sucker is quick, too. I have thoughts about just keeping at as is; a pretty good sleeper as it sits.Further feedback will be appreciated.

That would make the ultimate sleeper. No one would ever see that a$$ whooping coming. If you want something nice it would probably be easier to transplant the engine into another Cherokee. They are a dime a dozen and fairly cheap to pick up. I have thought about turbo charging mine for years. Maybe I should take this thing off your hands.:D

either fix it up like the original owner did or sell it so someone else can. that is a peice of history

Hi,
My feelings are along those lines,as I really can respect the engineering that went into the vehicle.I will post some pictures soon.

Hi,
Yes, the nose piece is a one off that was extended approximately 4 inches.The core support is custom made,of 1/4 inch steel. Other fabrication was done to mount the engine;it uses a special set of headers and downpipe, and very nicely done motor mounts.The stock drivetrain was retained through the use of a very nicely done adaptor plate for the 700R4 . It runs a BW transfer case and, from what I can tell, stock shafts and axles.That is, I believe,why the builder took the trouble to keep the stock drivetrain.My research indicates that '84 Cherokees came with a BW/Aisan trans. I am not too sure about the transfer case,so this may also have been changed. A 4wd S10 may have donated this,or...An Bosch fuel pump, externally mounted, supplies the fuel.
The motor itself,purported to be a GNX crate motor,has FWD heads. Space issues probably required this. The guy who built it was supposedly an engineer on the GNX project, but currently I have no way of verifying this.I will call the former owner, and see what info I can glean.
All in all, the car seems to be what I thought it was when I bought it: A rusty old 4wd truck, but I really respect the time that went into the project!