84-87 ECM Conversion...AWSOME!!

TurboRegal84

Staff member
I did the Conversion to my car, and I must say that this really ranks high on the "mods to do list" in my book!

I also put Scanmaster 2 in when I did the conversion, and all of the fetures work. It is great to see what is actually going on under the hood instead of "driving the car blind"

For all the people that dont want to go messing with these computers, and wires in the car....dont worry. When I was gathering parts all my father told me was "Your car is fine, why do you need a new computer?" "WHAT, $200+ for a scantool...are you nuts?"....and me being like most 17 year olds I ignored what he said and did it anyway...First time he saw the Scanmaster #'s he was like...oh wow pretty cool!

For the 84-85 Cars this is a great upgrade! Def worth the money!

I just wanted to thank Dan Smith for that great write up, it really tells you everything you need to do, and made it very easy to follow.

What Next??
87 Radiator
87 Elec Fan
Translator Plus?????(maybe)

The '87 Radiator isn't an upgrade IMO unless your going to use the oil cooler.

The Translator Plus with Extender Chip is the modification needed for the '84/'85 crowd. It tops off the ECM conversion. Set the initial fuel pressure one time... then use the MAF for setting rich/lean (with scan tool). Simple.

I noticed a post on the board that 91 octane is the highest pump octane available in some new areas. Well... it has been 91 octane here for awhile. If your looking for a tool to assist you in getting the best performance on the lower octane fuels the Translator Plus is what your looking for. Reduce your timing until knock disappears.

i agree on the trans+/extender chip.

especially if you're planning on running alky.never have to mess with race chip/street chip crap again,just adjust the fuel/timing to where you want it,and be done with it.

an extender chip is next on my list.

oh i went with a v8 radiator(new modine)and it's quite a bit bigger than our stock rad.

later,sean

The 87 radiator is at least 6" longer than the hotair radiator. It does make a difference. The 87 fans are common in the junkyards in Fieros. Did you use the 87 MAF too?

The '87 radiator is bigger for one reason... the oil cooler...
If you intend on using the oil cooler then you have a worthwhile swap... IMO if your not using the oil cooler your wasting your time reusing a part that is 14 years old.

Go aftermarket.

There's an extra 6" of core on the 87 radiator. The end tank might me 1/2" wider due to the cooler but that's it. I agree, I wouldn't suggest using an orginal radiator but a new stock replacement 87 radiator would probably provide all the cooling he will need. They are also pretty cheap. Just for a cheap 4 core rad most places want $250+. I run an external oil cooler because I have enough cooling problems without the oil heating the water.

you can get a radiator for a v8 regal with air (3 core) which is plenty from autozone with a lifetime warranty for like 80-90 bucks and go to a salvage yard and pick up the metal top plate from a v8 cutlass ..even your stock upper radiator hose will reach..

pretty simple and well worth it if going to elec. fan set up

Originally posted by Mike70gtx
Sounds great.
Where do I find the write up on the conversion.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/8487ecm.html

Guys...thanks alot for your $0.02 on the rad, but I am choosing to put a 87 unit in because I got one for free...I just need to get it pressure tested, and if it comes out ok then I am putting it in. WHY? The rad is larger so it has more cooling area, and more cooling area means better cooling.....The oil cooler hasnt crossed my mind...I dont want to do it now.

I am searching for an Elec Fan out of a feiro now..so When I get a fan and all that I will put the rad, and fan in.

Cool 84, yes I did use the 87 MAF.

yup...

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
you can get a radiator for a v8 regal with air (3 core) which is plenty from autozone with a lifetime warranty for like 80-90 bucks and go to a salvage yard and pick up the metal top plate from a v8 cutlass ..even your stock upper radiator hose will reach..

pretty simple and well worth it if going to elec. fan set up

this is exactly what i did.it doesn't have an oil cooler.i also run a flowkooler water pump and spal fans.

I just want to try to make my car run a bit cooler, and I think with the 87 Rad I have with elec fan, and a 160 stat I think I should notice a bit of a difference in cooling.

I was thinking about spal fans...but I dont think that I am going to get them. I am probably going to end up saving my $ for slicks or Translator.

I have a brand new Modine radiator for the '86-'87 V-8 Regal. It was too wide and my air cleaner would suck in hotter air. That will kill performance far more than I could possible get from that radiator. I'm selling it right now for $75 and it's brand new, but I lost the box and wouldn't ship it anyways. I'll probably keep it as a spare for my '87 Cutlass.

I'd go with a V8 rad and external oil cooler, personally. And the X-lator+, Extender and new MAF. Good for tuneability. Or MaxEffort. You can adjust timing and fueling on the fly and run in open loop all of the time with the MaxEffort. My car seems to run much better in open loop for some reason. Either one or the other would really be the ticket. Like Louie said, set FP and leave it. Use the chip or x-lator functions to tune. I've seen someone with an '86 run almost 900mv WOT and watched as he lowered the O2's on the fly with his MaxEffort. Could actually feel the car start to pull much, much harder. And no need to screw with street/race chips, one chip fits all.

I agree about the Max Effort. I haven't touched my FP since I've owned it. My 02s were always stuck in the 900+ range even with the FP way low. Now, at the leanest setting they are at 800mv and I haven't used the fuel out yet. It's also nice to fill up with av gas and switch to 24 degrees of timing without having to change chips. I also had a hesitaion on light throttle, added a little cruise fuel and it was gone. I love this chip.

What's the purpose of doing the 87 ECM swap? Does it offer you more diagnostic tools, or increase boost, or what? Also, are the harnesses the same, or will you need to do some custom wiring. I don't own a GN or TR but want to get as much info as I can before getting into this. Sorry for the newbie question.

Chris

'87 Ranger
'00 Camry
'72 Caddy
'88 6000

I did the swap because I wanted to use scanmaster, and be able to use a larger number of chips.

As for the wiring...its all plug and pley except you need to wire in the MAT sensor...it is a peice of cake, and the hardest part is getting the wire from the Airfilter to the ECM.

congrats on finally doing what everyone else does a week after they get their car ;)

:( not me im still old school. if i changed it then id have to get a chip that would be cheating for me i want to break the 12's with the factory stock chip and ecm.:)

but it probly is a good swap it is tempting since i have the ecm,m/a, and all from the 87