'83 Regal T-type rear axle ratio?

84ZZ4

Looking at the rear under this car, it's definitely a 7.5" axle (compared to my other 8.5" axles). What ratio is it? Is it 3.42 like the later cars?

Yeap, it's a 3.42 and it has a 200-4R OD trans. :)

'82 used 3.08 and early than that had 2.XX's.

Hi Rich, I dont have a lot of info on the 81-83s but wasn't there an optional performance package starting late 1981 and 1982. I think it consisted of a dual exhaust like the 83 and up models and came with a 3.23 axle? I can kind of remember reading in HotRod somewhere around 1981 about this package being offered as an option. Thanks Eric Fisher

Mine definitely has dual exhaust... it looks just like the stock 85-87 Olds 442 exhaust (single cat, Y right after the cat, dual mufflers mounted under the car in front of the axle). Was that standard on the t-type in 83?

Yeah, dual exhaust, 3.42 and THM200-4R was all standard for the 83 T-Type. Before 82 the good stuff wasn't available from the factory. Now that I think about it the article I remember reading said this was all prototype parts given to the magazine for one of its project cars. Dont know if anybody remembers the 81 Sport Coupe they got to do 15's in the quarter with? Eric

I do. :) That's the Sunday Driver articles. They took the car from 18.02 ET to 16.38 (biggest mod was water injection). Then they went to a Gale Banks Twin Turbo Stage motor and ran 13.25 on pump gas and street tires.

By 1981, the Turbo Regal had been leaning towards economy, rather than performance. In the middlle of '81, Loyd Ruess returned to Buick as General Manager. He put the performance back into the TR. A Y47 package was offered - 3.08 gears, dual exhaust and a high stall converter. This became standard for '82.