81-88 Cutlass Conversion

wordy1

What all do I need for a proper "factory-appearing" conversion? I had a 1984 Monte Carlo SS and am wanting it back :(, but I always wanted a Olds 442 .

I was told to look for a 4.1L block and buy the add-ons. What years had this block?

Do I need to replace the heater box to make it work? From my recollection the Cutlass box is a bit larger.

I am hoping to find a 442 with the larger rear-end and better BRF code tranny. What modifications (if any) will I need to make to the tranny? Is the governor the same for T-Types/GN and 442's? The torque numbers are actually similiar so I was hoping they would swap. I was told that the springs are different up front due to the V8 weighing more, is this true?

Where can I locate a complete wiring harness?

I will need a fuel tank, lines, and a pump. All of which I can locate, but if I was wanting to run E85, what size lines would you guys recommend?

I am looking to spend $10-$12k total for everything. Looking for a daily driver, not a drag car. Tired of car payments and want something I can work on that will be reliable. I figure I can find a nice donor car, drive it with the 307, and start finding the parts slowly. Has anyone here done such a transformation??

I believe the 4.1 was used in Caddys and other big cars like Electras and such.

If you're wanting to convert an '81-'88 Cutlass over to a turbo car, I'd find a wrecked donor turbo Buick with all of it's parts and do the conversion.

Also I may be mistaken but I'm almost sure a G body Regal and a G body Cutlass heater box are the same.

I put a 87' GN motor and trans in an 84' Hurst Olds. It's a bolt in. :biggrin: The only wiring I had to add was for the injectors and fuel pump.

I have the 4.1 block and all the factory accessories. It had 123k and was running and not using oil. A good place to start :).

Invest in Advil now.

What ur about to get into is going to be a never ending headache. With the money ur prepared to spend, ur better off buying a nice turbo regal or if U really want to go the hybrid route, try and find one already done. If u take this advice U will be thanking me later.

I understand the concerns all too well :biggrin:; for me, getting it to "work" is half the fun. Getting it to work "right" is not something just anyone can do. And when I'm done I'll have something REALLY special. Ask anyone who's seen the Monte I owned or any of my other cars.

My logic is that I would be doing the same mods to a TR if I were to buy one. I want to use the larger (4.1L) Buick V6 block.

Concidering that I would have had to pay $8-$10k more for a TR w/ low miles and in the same condition as my 442, in the end it will be about the same.

And modding a TR "right" is just as difficult IMHO.