81 231 v6 rebuild

LilSpann601

Hello I have a 81 gp with a 3.8 n/a recently replaced the head gasket...after replacement it did the samething then started knocking...so i pulled the motor removed the oil pan,pump,pistons,and rods..I plan on loading it up and taking it to the machine shop...as for as the crank what should i have done to it and i called myself looking for cranks in the block but i couldn't find any...when hving it machined should i get it bored???if so how much and what else could i do to the inside to get it moving ...while im in there???? I also plan on using a carb turbo

rebuild

Take it to a good machine shop. He will measure or mike everything. Check for cracks on the block and crank. He will also check to see how streight everything is. He'll tell you wether he needs to rebore the block or machine the crank to get the tolerances back where they need to be. The heads will need to be redone and he will be glad to do that too. Ask around for a good machine shop. Hey dude, Prices are going to vary.Good luck

well the machine guy told me while im inside to go ahead and change the cam he said he will not bore it unless it needs to be and i think he said he's going to turn the crank...whats a good cam to go with??? I forgot to say im on a budget too