80 Sport Coupe trouble - see video

Justa6MB

The father son project is so so close... But it's fighting us :mad: As the video will show the car starts right up, runs fine until it warms up - then dies. I did try holding the revs up and it wouldn't quit. When it does die, it will start up but won't run very well and die again. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will start up and run good again - for a few minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Questions will be answered!

Try disconnecting the EGR valve and plug the hose in case it is getting vacuum at idle when it warms up for some odd reason. When diagnosing a drivability problem, I like to find out if it is rich, lean or ignition. I have a propane bottle with a valve and hose that I use to find vacuum leaks. It was used to set lean idle drop on Chrysler products way back when, and also a recommended procedure from the Allen Test Center for determining if an engine is lean or rich. You can use a regular propane torch also. When it starts to die, put some propane down the carburetor throat. You can use carb cleaner too. If it picks up and runs, you are lean and have a fuel pressure or carburetor problem. If it dies instantly, it may be rich or have an ignition problem. It sure looks lean in the video when it dies. It could have some crud in the float bowl getting into the idle circuit. You did not say if it has spark at the plug when it dies. It could be the pickup coil or the coil if you have no spark until it cools off.

My guess is a rotten PCV HOSE (under the Turbo) or a vacuum leak ... *I have this exact car*.

Wheres Charlie, he eats this stuff !

Firstly check all the body to engine, engine to battery and battery to body grounds, but this sounds like a ignition coil breaking down with heat, try a different ignition coil. Also if you have access to another distributor try swapping it with the one currently on the engine, reason for that is the pickup coil (VR Sensor) cannot be changed without a complete teardown of the distributor.
You have covered the rest of symptoms and this problem seems electrical.

Ok first thanks for the reply's guys. I hope we've got good news to report. Was tied up Sunday but last night we went out and pulled off the dist cap. Everything looked ok, but the ignition control module was the original?? Then I was reminded by the younger one, that we had been troubleshooting a couple of years ago and must've put the old one back in. So we dug in the box and found a new ICM & capacitor. I popped it in and put everything back together and started it up. Ran nice and smooth like usual, and the waiting began... Let it run for likely 10 mins or more and no issues. So I said saddle up partner, lets take it for a drive. We hit the streets and drove around for likely 25 mins and it ran like a champ. It was late then it was raining all day today so we didn't take it out today, but I'm hoping that was it.