80 El Camino will 87GN eng loom fit

turbojack

got a chance to buy a 80 el camino to do a 87 gn swap,,need to know if orig stock eng wire loom will connect to the orig elect "plug" on the drivers side.I did this swap on a 84tt and it was a plug and play thing on that one,but dont know if it`ll plug into the 80 camino,,,,also,I have the rear out of the 87,I think that`ll fit as well,,right or wrong ? thanks,,Jack

Not absolutely sure about drivers bulkhead harness but I highly doubt it is even nearly the same. The rearend swap is cake, all brake hardware will swap from the 7.5" 10-bolt to the 8.5" 10-bolt, one thing to point out is the GN rear end lugs are metric, and up until '82, the elkys used SAE lugs, so unless you swap either the front or rears, you'll have to have different lugs front to rear.

The firewall connector is different , you will need one from a newer G-Body.

Not absolutely sure about drivers bulkhead harness but I highly doubt it is even nearly the same. The rearend swap is cake, all brake hardware will swap from the 7.5" 10-bolt to the 8.5" 10-bolt, one thing to point out is the GN rear end lugs are metric, and up until '82, the elkys used SAE lugs, so unless you swap either the front or rears, you'll have to have different lugs front to rear.

What years (if any) will the buick eng harness plug into on the el caminos,,just looking for the easiest way to use a eng harness I have for this project,its a like new caspers unit for a stock 87GN.If I did use the older 80 camino,does sombody make an adaptor to go from older camino style to 87GN style?

doing a swap right now into a 78 malibu, the harness is diffrent and so is the head light harness. you will need all new harness, the fues block has fues for the ecm and injection.

I did a swap into a '87 Iroc a few years back, used as much of the bulkhead harness as I could for the drivers side, ecm was the only harness on passenger side. There really isn't too many wires on drivers side, check GNtType.org for the bulkhead wiring diagram and just add the extra wiring you need. I put an '88 TPI engine/harness in the elky and used a fuse block from painless for the extra circuits I needed.

thanks for the answers guys,that helps me know where I stand---I was looking for quick and very easy conversion (like the 84tt I did) but ,,dont look like its going to happen,right now anyway,,need to finish up others 1st----

FWIW, I had an easier time swapping the LC2 into an originally carbed iroc, than I did swapping the TPI into the elky. If you run into any issues, PM me.

Another option is to swap the Regal dash and harness. It's on my list of things to do, when I can find the time.