8.1 (496 cubic inch ls motor) thinking on using this.

Goat

I heart Boost and DRs...
Well Im sitting here and Im kinda bored with a 383 in a car of mine. Me and a friend were talking about the LS engines the other day and the 8.1 came up and how we never heard of noone building them. So now I have decided to play some with one plans are as follows:

Switching to carb (not sure on size of carb yet)
2 inch carb spacer
custom cut cam over 600 lift
headers

I have done some research on these motors and they came in alot of stuff. Im thinking of getting one for the regal if I can get the car and the shipping issues worked out. I however have a old 79 malibu that this thing would be perfect for.

The specs on this motor is 550hp/690tq I figured with the changes Im doing its going to be more toward the 700 and 800 marks maybe, Thats if these numbers are correct.

Have any of yall played with these before?

It isn't an LS engine. It is a BBC. They were 345hp and 4xx something torque in the GM trucks. Swapping in a cam is not going to make 700 hp. A 496" engine making 345hp is not a fire breather. It was built for torque. Small cam, crap heads, big torque, low rpm.

I said if them numbers are correct wikipedia gives bad info....

i got an 02 2500with a 8.1 bought new and it has 291k miles cant tell when i pull the feather light .... it out ran the dmax down the 1/4 stock for stock ... they came with 4:11's though im sure they are like the 454 ss truck work the heads install a cam that will turn an it will make power an its all aluminum .... its hard to tell my truck is even runing its so quiet 2500 crew cab tune gps said i went 121 when i let out