79 Regal trans swap.

Red79Rat

79 GS
Hey everybody, I want to swap the transmission out in my 79 Regal. It has a Turbo 350 in it now and I'm wanting to go with an overdrive, I was thinking a 700r4 for a long time but I've receantly heard that a 200-4r would be better because it will drop in without changing anything, it's suppost to use my existing crossmember and even the same driveshaft. I have also read online that they are easier to turn then a 700 (less driveline power loss) and use 700 torque converters. Any anwsers, help, and advice would be appreciated. Thanks, oh and it will also be running a 350 small block, I know blasphmy but its cheaper then a turbo 6.

Lots of reading in the tranny section so I'd say do a lot there first. First issue you'll have is that your car is set up for a 3 speed tranny. You will need a 4 speed crossmember and weld in the frame mount for it. The 4 speed crossmember sits further back on the frame and yours doesn't have it.

Like Charlie mentioned the 200-4r takes a dedicated trans x-member but you can use the original drive shaft is correct. The dip stick and tube tube is obviously different as are the location of the trans cooler fittings. Last but not least is the TV cable and bracket. You must use a bracket that is for the 2004-r and the kind of fuel mixer you are running to keep the TV cable geometry in check. Controlling the TC lockup has many options though.

The 1983 Turbo V6 used a 200-4R, so you might want to check one out for cable/brackets, etc.

Scratch that, you said you'll be running a small block chevy. (Not sure how that could be cheaper than upping the boost on a turbo, but oh well.)