78 Regal 5.0 Rear

Eversmann79

is there a rear end that bolts right up thats also posi?
Also would i have to get different suspension components with a new rear end and how fat of tires would i be up to get underneath it without tubbing it or rolling the quarters or narrowing the rear

The only bolt in posi-rear would be an 8.5 from a GN or T-type, and some 442s. Same suspension stuff.

The only bolt in posi-rear would be an 8.5 from a GN or T-type, and some 442s. Same suspension stuff.

Not quite true John. I've got a factory posi in my car but it's a 7.5" ring.:frown: It just has to be for a G body chasis. If you want to upgrade then you can do some junk yard searching for a 4th gen Camaro and take the cover off. These have a much stronger carrier but a different type of posi. It's called a torsen or by Nascar standards they're called gold tracks. It has a 28 spline carrier so you can get heavier axles for it as well.:biggrin:

Here's a couple of pics for you. My re-enforced 7.5 housing and the back up torsen if I break an axle or burn the posi out.

Attachments

• DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 82
Not quite true John. I've got a factory posi in my car but it's a 7.5" ring.:frown: It just has to be for a G body chasis. If you want to upgrade then you can do some junk yard searching for a 4th gen Camaro and take the cover off. These have a much stronger carrier but a different type of posi. It's called a torsen or by Nascar standards they're called gold tracks. It has a 28 spline carrier so you can get heavier axles for it as well.:biggrin:

Here's a couple of pics for you. My re-enforced 7.5 housing and the back up torsen if I break an axle or burn the posi out.

Well, I figured there may be a 7.5 posi units, but where would you find one? Even if they were readily available, it would pay to step right up to the 8.5. Somebody always has an 8.5 for sale. And faced with the prospect of finding the Camaro 4th gen posi, purchasing it and the expense of setting it up, you'd still be better off bolting in a complete 8.5 and be done with it. ;)

Well, I figured there may be a 7.5 posi units, but where would you find one? Even if they were readily available, it would pay to step right up to the 8.5. Somebody always has an 8.5 for sale. And faced with the prospect of finding the Camaro 4th gen posi, purchasing it and the expense of setting it up, you'd still be better off bolting in a complete 8.5 and be done with it. ;)

Not arguing at all John.:smile: The 8.5 has proven itself time after time. I got lucky after all.:biggrin: Replaced the bearings in the axle for a customer and was never paid for the job so I got the discs off the back complete and the torsen. As the saying goes "every nut finds a blind squirrel once in a while" LOL.:biggrin: I think Brian at Gbody has some of the 7.5's with posi for around $250 and it would hold up well for the 5.0 but the 8.5 will hold up much better.